RAW

Probably a dumb question... but after reading this post I decided to toy with RAW files. I put my XSi in Raw+Large (jpg) mode and shot a few photos. The jpgs show up fine when I load them onto my computer. The RAW files are there, but Photoshop won't open them. I have PS CS3, and I get the message "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

So, what can you use to edit RAW files if not PS?

Probably a dumb question... but after reading this post I decided to toy with RAW files. I put my XSi in Raw+Large (jpg) mode and shot a few photos. The jpgs show up fine when I load them onto my computer. The RAW files are there, but Photoshop won't open them. I have PS CS3, and I get the message "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document."

So, what can you use to edit RAW files if not PS?

You need to download the free Camera RAW update from Adobe. The for CS3 is available here.

The question I had was this: Say my White Balance is set to "Direct Sunlight". Say I am shooting in RAW. I know the WB won't have an affect on the photo once transferred to my computer.

Of course it will. If you have your camera set to Direct Sunlight, and you're shooting an indoor concert, your colors are going to be twerked. With a RAW file, its as simple as loading it up in your cameras image-editor and changing the setting used; a jpeg can also be adjusted but you may not get as good a color-correction as you would have with a straight RAW file.

As for the LCD question - the camera will display the picture AS TAKEN, meaning it will convert your raw file, and display the image with the information from the exposure, including the White Balance setting used.

As for underexposing, some people do this intentionally. Obviously underexposing by too much renders unrecoverable data, but its a general rule of thumb that it is better to underexpose than it is to overexpose.

Most reactions

Back