RAZOR Sharp EYES

Rosy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
can you share YOUR technique in getting BOTH eyes razor sharp? Can you share what you do at different aperture settings - do you recompose?
PLEASE post your image, if possible

focus point on eye, aperture necessary to get both eyes in focus will depend on your distance to subject and distance between eyes from focal plane, proper shutter speed to avoid motion blur and good lighting.

focus point on eye, aperture necessary to get both eyes in focus will depend on your distance to subject and distance between eyes from focal plane, proper shutter speed to avoid motion blur and good lighting.

focus on eye closest to the camera - and your DOF will capture the other? given your SS does not create blur...

focus on eye closest to the camera - and your DOF will capture the other? given your SS does not create blur...

Your DOF is dependent on the subject's distance from the camera, the aperture used, and the focal length. At the same distance from camera, and focal length, use aperture to increase your DoF so that both eyes are in focus. Your camera has a DoF preview button below the lens mount.

Your DOF is dependent on the subject's distance from the camera, the aperture used, and the focal length. At the same distance from camera, and focal length, use aperture to increase your DoF so that both eyes are in focus. Your camera has a DoF preview button below the lens mount.

thank you -

Doesn't proper lighting play a part?? I notice when the lighting is good my pictures tend to be very crisp.

Doesn't proper lighting play a part?? I notice when the lighting is good my pictures tend to be very crisp.

Yes, if the lighting is good that means that you can use a smaller aperture to utilize your lenses sweet spot (usually around f/5.6 - f/8) and a higher shutter speed to reduce motion blur/camera shake. Light has everything to do with photography, and when there's more of it, the better (usually).

Last edited:
I had my subjects sit down at a table, I set my tripod up on the opposite side and centered it on their eyes. Then I put lights(used desk lamps because I'm a poor college student and can't afford lighting equipment) on the desk and adjusted them till I had a shot that looks proper. Used f/8 for maximum clarity and snapped away. :mrgreen:

james_by_pianoblack97-d4flq44.jpg

laura_by_pianoblack97-d4fmexq.jpg

I had my subjects sit down at a table, I set my tripod up on the opposite side and centered it on their eyes. Then I put lights(used desk lamps because I'm a poor college student and can't afford lighting equipment) on the desk and adjusted them till I had a shot that looks proper. Used f/8 for maximum clarity and snapped away. :mrgreen:

james_by_pianoblack97-d4flq44.jpg

laura_by_pianoblack97-d4fmexq.jpg

In this shot, both upper eyes look to be in focus to me. On the lower shot, his right eye looks a bit soft to me. Could be my bad eyes...

A factor you may not be aware of is that the distribution of the DoF in front of, and behind the point of focus can also change.

For example using a 50 mm lens @ f/4 and a 4' focus point distance the DoF distribution is 48% in front of, and 52% behind the point of focus. However, by changing just the lens aperture to f/11 the DoF distribution then becomes 45%/55%.
I know that's not a big change, but as focus point distance increases, so does the change in DoF distribution with changes in lens aperture, which is why I brought it to your attention.

If the eyes are at an angle to the image sensor, they are also at different distances from the image sensor and in a differing potion of the DoF distribution.

ShallowDoF.jpg

DoFGradient.jpg

For me I just don't worry about it. I shoot thin depth of field and focus on the inside of the near eye and let depth of field fall where it may.

Now if you do want both eyes sharp....as mentioned..
The closer you are the smaller f-stop you need to use.
The closer you are the more the face will need to be turned square to you.
The closer you are the more recomposing will take the eyes out of focus.

Everyone else has explained the DoF rules well enough, I'll just add that good post processing technique can go a long way as well in sharpening eyes. Judicious use of an unsharp mask can add a lot to an in-focus picture. Just make sure you don't go too far with it, alien eyes aren't attractive on anyone. There are a butt load of tutorials on the subject, just keep in mind that no amount of sharpening can rescue an out of focus eye. The only fix for that is to reshoot.

Most reactions

Back