RE AUTO TOPCOR 1: 1.8 f= 85mm TOKYTO KOGAKU lens

furcibaker64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site and this is my first post. I have been visiting the forum a couple of months back and I decided that its time to join this community. Well, I want to get information on an old lens, but I don't know if this is the right forum to do so. Please feel free to remove this thread as necessary. This is my query: a friend of mine gave me a RE AUTO TOPCOR 1: 1.8 f= 85mm TOKYO KOGAKU lens in a fairly good shape. When I googled the name, I only got information on other focal length of the same maker. Does anybody know this lens? Thank you very much.:)

Last edited:
Older, good quality glass, but probably still not as good as a modern kit lens, other than in terms of build-quality.

Hi tirediron,
Thanks for the piece of information. I think you are right in that "older, good quality glass...". I have tried many Carl Zeiss Jenas' and Takumars, and they proved to be good perfomers image quality wise. If you are in a hurry or photographing action you better go for AF. However, I'm not quite sure why you think "modern kit lenses" are better. I have a couple of kit lenses, but the build quality and the IQ they deliver is lousy (Canon EF-S 18-55mm).

I have found that most modern kit lenses to be better performers than this older glass because of improved optical design and greatly improved lens coatings; I'm not talking about super-zooms, or extreme conditions, etc. Modern build-quality can't touch stuff like this however; that lens could be used to hammer nails.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back