re-shooting something for a client - do i charge?

Depends on a few things. Is this a client that throws a lot of work your way and you have a good working relationship with? It was a change after the fact and therefore it is the responsibility of their art department to give you all the details before the shoot. If they are a good client and you want to keep them as a good client you might want to bite the bullet and tell them you'll re-shoot it at no charge this time around. In this day and age there is the risk of the client just dropping you from any other shoots in the future. All comes down to your working relationship.

thanks guys - I had no idea about the 10:10 thing either! They asked me to set the time to 1:50 to show most of the face. And no I did not leave foam in the box that was just packing foam, that would be really dumb - it was the moulded foam, one piece in the lid and one in the base with the watch on it, they want the lid one removed because there's a logo inside the lid.

I replied to client and said that as they did not specify these details first I will need to charge them at 50% for the reshoot, and asked them to have a think about anything else they might want before I go ahead with the shoot. I don't have a response yet, but it's a long weekend here so I might not hear back until tuesday.

thanks for all your help!

Depends on a few things. Is this a client that throws a lot of work your way and you have a good working relationship with? It was a change after the fact and therefore it is the responsibility of their art department to give you all the details before the shoot. If they are a good client and you want to keep them as a good client you might want to bite the bullet and tell them you'll re-shoot it at no charge this time around. In this day and age there is the risk of the client just dropping you from any other shoots in the future. All comes down to your working relationship.

it's a new client, i'm hoping to get more work from them in the future but this is the first job i've done for them, hence the confusion about how to go about things and not wanting to annoy them. i guess it is a possibility that they'll be mad and not give me work in the future, but i don't see the point in doing all the work again from scratch for free, my rate was cheap already. i just needed reassurance that it was OK to charge for this :)

Your CONTRACT (and please tell me you have one) should clearly specify re-shoot charges. I have this and have it signed by anyone I do work for, and yes ABSOLUTELY I charge them. HOWEVER...

1. I have everything they want in writing before the shoot.
2. If I genuinely feel I've given them what they asked for, then I let them know there will be an additional charge for a reshoot.
3. If I do not, then I don't.
4. If I think there are quality issues that are my fault, I don't.
5. If they're a really good customer and it's a rare thing, then I don't. (or I'll minimize it)
6. ANY TIME I don't charge for the reshoot, I'll say "Normally I would charge a re-shoot fee, but in this case I am not because XXXX". The point is they should know I take my contract seriously, but take our relationship even more seriously.

If the "details" of the watch are covered up (like you blocked the brand name by having it at 12:00 or you blocked the scrolling date by having an arm at 3:00, etc.) then, as a photographer, it's the photographer's fault.

Now, this 10:10 business? Absurd. That's ridiculous if no details were covered up. Say you had it at 8:22 and everything was still showing but the client wanted it at 10:10 - that's just being a douche. Charge them again. If you had blocked up important details on the watch, then that's a photographer's error - kinda like having hair in their face for a portrait, corporate headshot - then don't re-charge.

And unless the watch was an Omega or Rolex AND the foam was PINK or extremely hideous, then re-charge them. I'm sure the OP used their best judgement as a photographer whether or not the foam should've been there. Could've been the nicest-looking foam in the world.

.... 10:10.... really?

If the "details" of the watch are covered up (like you blocked the brand name by having it at 12:00 or you blocked the scrolling date by having an arm at 3:00, etc.) then, as a photographer, it's the photographer's fault.

Now, this 10:10 business? Absurd. That's ridiculous if no details were covered up. Say you had it at 8:22 and everything was still showing but the client wanted it at 10:10 - that's just being a douche. Charge them again. If you had blocked up important details on the watch, then that's a photographer's error - kinda like having hair in their face for a portrait, corporate headshot - then don't re-charge.

And unless the watch was an Omega or Rolex AND the foam was PINK or extremely hideous, then re-charge them. I'm sure the OP used their best judgement as a photographer whether or not the foam should've been there. Could've been the nicest-looking foam in the world.

.... 10:10.... really?

10:10 is as absurd as the rule of thirds. It is literally the watch industry standard(next to 1:50). Not saying that he should reshoot for free because it's not at 10:10, however, to say that it is absurd makes no sense. It's even mentioned on the watch wikipedia page... that's how standard it is.

Last edited:
Your CONTRACT (and please tell me you have one) should clearly specify re-shoot charges. I have this and have it signed by anyone I do work for, and yes ABSOLUTELY I charge them. HOWEVER...

2. If I genuinely feel I've given them what they asked for, then I let them know there will be an additional charge for a reshoot.
5. If they're a really good customer and it's a rare thing, then I don't. (or I'll minimize it)
6. ANY TIME I don't charge for the reshoot, I'll say "Normally I would charge a re-shoot fee, but in this case I am not because XXXX". The point is they should know I take my contract seriously, but take our relationship even more seriously.

no i do not have a contract, i've never used one for this kind of work before (clearly i'm learning alot, which is why i joined this forum). could you please help me and point me in the direction of some example contracts I can work from to draw up for future use? i also need to put one together for future use etc, if anyone can help me out with that i'd be really grateful :)

no i do not have a contract, i've never used one for this kind of work before (clearly i'm learning alot, which is why i joined this forum). could you please help me and point me in the direction of some example contracts I can work from to draw up for future use? i also need to put one together for future use etc, if anyone can help me out with that i'd be really grateful :)

Let me google that for you

:)

Most reactions

Back