need help with quoting for model shoot

de_tec_tive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.witheverylight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I some advice please! i've been hired to do product shots for some watches, and now they're enquiring about doing a shoot with a model (one photo), either in a studio or on location.
the client said "We'd provide a suitable location. The image would be used primarily for a little sign to be displayed behind the watch in some jewellery stores. It may also have other various marketing uses but they're not doing any big media campaigns or advertisements with it."

so they just want me to take one good photo and edit it, i don't have to arrange the model, hair & makeup or any of that. i'm a professional photographer (but i wouldn't say that i'm a great one) and I do either live music or products, i've never done a shoot with a model before so i've got NO IDEA how it works.
i don't know much about how to charge for the usage etc - what would be a ballpark figure to charge? and then you're meant to give them a rate for just one year, and then more after that - is that correct?

to put things in perspective, i have charged $90 per image for the 6 watches i have shot for them. i'm sure that i'm capable of doing this shoot with the model, i'm just a bit iffy about the lighting but i'm going to bring a friend who can help and i'm going to give him a cut of the pay.

if you can give me any help/advice at all i would really appreciate it. my main priority is getting the wording right when i email them on how they can use the photo, because i don't want to sound like i don't know what i'm talking about.

here's one of the photos of the watches so you can gauge my level of experience/quality of work: http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3209/watchx.jpg

thanks so much in advance!

Well it's a nice picture of a watch. I can't gauge your skills as a "professional" by one static photo of a watch. You've already stated that you're not a great photographer, so you have already admitted defeat. Tell them to use a professional photographer that doesn't come with self tagged inexperience. If you are just starting out, taking a job you aren't comfortable with can be an early career killer.

Right. Can't tell much from the example photo.

How are you with portraits? Not to say this would be a portrait, per se, but lighting (in general) is going to be important.

Remember; this is essentially a product shot, but now you have to light the model too.

Post a portrait.

i've never done a portrait before, not ever. that's why i'm nervous - i've turned down lots of jobs because i'm shy and don't have the experience, and worry i'll look like an idiot (obviously i have self esteem issues haha), but i just need to stop saying no and get some experience!

i've never done a portrait before, not ever. that's why i'm nervous - i've turned down lots of jobs because i'm shy and don't have the experience, and worry i'll look like an idiot (obviously i have self esteem issues haha), but i just need to stop saying no and get some experience!
True, but getting experience on the customer's dime is NOT the way to enhance your reputation. I would say there are two options: (1) Pass altogether, saying that it's not your area of expertise, but you are working on it, and will be able to undertake these sorts of commissions in the future, or (2) Agree and sub-contract to another pro you know who has the skills. IMO, taking on the job with the concerns you have is NOT going to end well. Do you even have the equipment to light a person?

If you want to practice, then sign up with a 'site like Model Mayhem and to Trade-for shoots until you gain the skills. There are usually lots of aspiring models willing to step in front of your camera for an hour or two for some free shots.

Do it! the lighting set up is pretty simple here

to all the people say you should not do not learn on someone else dime hemm on the job training happens maybe get a friend to come over and tweek your lighting before the shoot but do it and do it well stop saying I can't I never; you never will by saying that.
The best out there got there by doing and doing and doing better don't hate on your self your skills you got the whole world to do that for you so head up move forward and get it done.

Last edited by a moderator:

you tube has tons of great how to for this very thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

You made the statement "I'm a professional photographer" with that comes the responsibility of being just that. By what you have said you are clearly not ready to bill yourself as a professional, regardless if you believe you are. What you should do is take some courses on portrait photography, there must be some camera clubs they may even be able to help you out. If you are turning down jobs because you can't handle the mental pressure, it's really time to just take a couple of steps back until you get some confidence and experience in yourself. We've all been through the same thing, the difference is the majority on this forum aren't calling themselves professionals, even though the quality of the work many produce is at that level.

“I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.”
- Mae West

You made the statement "I'm a professional photographer" with that comes the responsibility of being just that. By what you have said you are clearly not ready to bill yourself as a professional, regardless if you believe you are. What you should do is take some courses on portrait photography, there must be some camera clubs they may even be able to help you out. If you are turning down jobs because you can't handle the mental pressure, it's really time to just take a couple of steps back until you get some confidence and experience in yourself. We've all been through the same thing, the difference is the majority on this forum aren't calling themselves professionals, even though the quality of the work many produce is at that level.
I'm not sure that's totally fair comment Scott; after all I think one can be a professional without being skilled in all aspects of the craft. I like to think of myself as a reasonably decent portrait shooter, but stick me in a nightclub and tell me to get good party shots, ehhh, I'd probably have a tough go the first round or two. That said, as I indicated earlier, I don't think it's professional to take on work you're not competent at, nor to "practice" on the customer's time and dime.

Are product shoots really that much different than a portrait used to promote the product? They both utilize off camera flash. Given that the OP is a professional photographer, I'm not judging or saying one way or the other, shouldn't a little research and say an hour of shooting be able to produce one good photo that the client is looking for?

Are product shoots really that much different than a portrait used to promote the product?

I am not a product Ronny, I am a human being!

Are product shoots really that much different than a portrait used to promote the product?

I am not a product Ronny, I am a human being!

I didn't say that you were a product. It's my understanding that they are wanting a portrait of a model wearing the watch for display. Am I wrong that product shots and portraits both use off camera flash? If so, then isn't it a matter of fine tuning the lighting. (I"m not trying to offend anyone, I'm actually trying to learn the difference in the lighting).

Most reactions

Back