Reading the fine print of Contest Guidelines

ranmyaku

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jpgmag.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was considering sending an entry to a contest but was reading through their fine print...I can understand if you win a prize they would have rights to do what they will with your photo, but by just submitting the entry, they essentially get to use it of their own free will?

By submitting an Entry, you:
  1. Irrevocably grant to the Sponsor, its agents, licensees, and assigns the unconditional and perpetual (non-exclusive) right and permission to copyright, reproduce, encode, store, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works of, exhibit, and otherwise use the Entry as-is or as-edited (with or without using your name) in any media throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from you or any other party.
  2. Forever waive any rights of copyrights, trademark rights, privacy rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude the Sponsor’s use of your Entry, or require any further permission for the Sponsor to use the Entry.
  3. Agree not to instigate, support, maintain, or authorize any action, claim, or lawsuit against the Sponsor on the grounds that any use of the Entry, or any derivative works, infringes any of your rights as creator of the Entry, including, without limitation, copyrights, trademark rights, and moral rights.

Many of these contests are just people getting their photo's for free or nearly so. They offer a prize like a $500 camera and get thousands of pics sent to them. They have a scam going for people who don't take the time to read!

What you posted is why I dont enter contests as a whole. This is why I also dont use many of the free photo hosting sites. Some out there have the same wording so they arent really free, well they are but it is free images for them. There are also many out there who say everyone wins and, sell you your prze in the guise of shipping charges. My cousin got bit by one of those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back