Ready to have a nervous break-down over getting new p&s camera...

annoying.meow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just sold my camera today - a Canon G10 - to a rather nice Swedish guy who is gonna use it as his backup to a Canon 5D Mark II.

In my not-so-far-away dreams, I want a DSLR - either a Canon 5D Mark II or a Nikon D700.

For the time being, I do not have the cash to outlay on either of those bodies (and accompanying lens and gear to go with them).

I need a new camera and for cash reason, I am starting backward, of sorts - looking for a rock solid, take everywhere digital point and shoot. I don`t have any brand loyalty, though it`s easy to get wrapped up in it.

I am looking for solid suggestions based on what`s out there now.

- Canon G12: essentially same thing as I had with the G10 - solid, can be noisy, bulky, good overall performer.

- Olympus XZ-1: solid reviews with minimal complaints, fast lens as I like night photography, but i shoot just as much day stuff, keep seeing that it process jpegs for crap (though i always shoot raw).

On a side note, I know there are the Ricoh GR Digital III, but it is fixed focal length, which I don`t want.

There is also the Ricoh GXR interchangeable system, but again, it`s been a mixed bag with reviews, and I don`t really want to get to fixated on a small camera system that requires the purchase of lenses.

Lastly, there is the Sony Nex 5n, which because of it`s full size sensor, seems like it would take greatly detailed photos and the reviews have been nice. I think the only resin I would consider it is because of the sensor size, and would most likely just stick with the 18-55 lens and not add anything else to it.

Now that i am without ANY camera, I don`t want to become too desperate and make a bad decision. But am curious, do I stick with the G series and get the G12, do I maybe give up something with the IQ or image processor and get the faster lens Olympus, or do I go with the Sony and hope for the best. I guess a company that makes a long list of electronic products including cameras scares me, though Canon makes many, too - though they are all imaging products.

I need some really, solid advice to ponder or own experiences. I have looked online and found good and bad review os all these cameras. I have looked at photos shot by them and have heard good and bad comments. I am losing valuable time and my mind in the process. Please help.

I vote for the canon g12 or the nikon p7000. Both are great cameras that have full manual controls and a ton of features.

You could also grab a lower end dslr and kit lens used for the same amount. Something like a nikon d3000 or d80, or a canon t1i. thats what I'd do because it would allow you to learn your way around a dslr and build up your lens and gear collection slowly. Then down the road when you can afford a better camera body, you'll already have some good glass to put on it.

I agree with buying a cheap old dslr for the time being. In the end the glass is where you'll spend most of your money, and quality lenses last a lonnnng time. This way you can start building your lens collection now and then upgrade to the body you want when you can afford it. I think if your ultimate goal is a dSLR, there's no reason to buy anything besides Canon or Nikon. Olympus and Panasonic have great options in the micro 4/3 market, but they're not cheap, so if you're not going to stick with that format it's probably not worth it. Sony... well... they make nice sensors? d7000 has one! : ) Seriously though, Sony's are ergonomically the worst cameras I've ever picked up. And while I don't have extensive experience with their cameras, everything else they make puts marketing first, appearance second, and then if there's any budget left (big if), just enough build quality to keep the QC lawyers happy. Get a camera that was at least designed by photographers and not sales gurus.

so it seems thus far if i want a smaller p&s cam, for the choices i gave, the canon g12 would b the winner.
and other wise, just get a cheaper dslr body and maybe a quality prime or two and go from there?

i guess there is that part of me who know i will always want a small kind-of pocketable camera to have on me
at all times, and price wise, seems to a be a good starting point for me now.

i am so use to the canon g10 controls, i am almost afraid to touch the olympus xz-1, even with the faster lens.

I don`t really want to get to fixated on a small camera system that requires the purchase of lenses.

other wise, just get a cheaper dslr body and maybe a quality prime or two and go from there?

Your "wants" are all over the place. Fixed lens versus interchangeable. Small Sensor versus Larger. P&S vs Mirrorless vs DSLR. Cameras with Zoom lenses but now you are considering primes on a DSLR. I personally would step back stop thinking about cameras for just a second and write down what you "want" or "need". Then prioritize them. Take the top half of that list and figure out which type of camera; P&S, high end P&S, Bridge, mirror less, entry DSLR, consumer DSLR, prosumer DLSR, professional DSLR, Medium format Digtial. Then go from there and pick a few to look into more detail.

I'm confused just trying to get a picture of your typical day out with the camera much less what would suite your needs. At first I though cost was most mportant, then size/packaging, but then sensor size...

btw... its not uncommon for a customer walking through the door with the same thoughts...

Last edited:
I agree with buying a cheap old dslr for the time being. In the end the glass is where you'll spend most of your money, and quality lenses last a lonnnng time. This way you can start building your lens collection now and then upgrade to the body you want when you can afford it. I think if your ultimate goal is a dSLR, there's no reason to buy anything besides Canon or Nikon. Olympus and Panasonic have great options in the micro 4/3 market, but they're not cheap, so if you're not going to stick with that format it's probably not worth it.

I agree that if your ultimate goal is an SLR then go for a entry level body. However there is other brands other than Canon or Nikon and just because they don't have the market share that Canikon does, does not mean they aren't worth looking into. I can't speak for Olympus, Panisonic or Sony because I've never used them, but Pentax makes fantastic cameras and IMO has the best bang for your buck. Plus with the backwards compatibility you can get some great older glass for really cheap, as long as you don't mind manual lenses.

Anyways I don't want to get into brand wars - especially when the OP has his eye set on a Canon or Nikon but I feel saying that there is no reason to purchase outside Canikon is bullcrap.

Now to the OP, I don't have much advice on the compact cameras you are looking at. Good luck with your search and don't stress too much over the camera, when it comes down to it, the photographer takes great images not the camera. Get a camera with manual settings so you can learn the basics before you make the jump to the SLR :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back