Ready to take the plunge

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by CherpeAr, Nov 29, 2018.

1. CherpeAr

CherpeAr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Preparing to make a new camera purchase . Pretty set on one after researching .
    Found this deal online today and thought it sounded good. Would like opinions though as I’m a noob and not experienced with lenses.
    Thanks!Costco Wholesale

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dean_Gretsch

Dean_Gretsch Always looking... Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi and welcome to the forum. My first dslr was an SL1 and was also the body included in my first kit with 2 of those same lenses. Great learning camera. The SL2 is the upgraded version and I am sure you will love it. What are your interests as far as types of photos you want to take? If you are like me, you will soon add to your kit as you learn and expand your interests. Hope you get much enjoyment from your purchase and share your photos with us.

3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
  4. CherpeAr

CherpeAr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I generally take outdoor sky photos and lots of my grandson (17 mos) ❤️
    I’m uneducated about lenses at least I’ve not used them only read about and listened to reviews. I’m sure that I want a 50 mm but other than that notsure. I’d love to be able to get moon pics .
    I saw a white sl2 and wow that is cool but no bundle so if I go that route I’ll pay out more $
    Anyone have thoughts on a white one? I think it’s awesome looking !!!

5. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it makes you feel good, go for it.
    Just realize that most of the lenses you get will be BLACK.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dean_Gretsch

Photos NOT OK to edit
    White might work for you, but 90% of the photos I take are outside. I am sure if my cameras were originally white, they would not be that way very long. Your camera will likely last you for many years. How do you think the white will look in 5 years?
    As said above^^^, it is your money and your decision. Have fun with your camera. It isn't only a tool. It is an escape for many! Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I personally do NOT like kits like that.
    They are assembled to meet a price point, and to appeal to buyers, not usually for a good lens selection.
    Here are my issues
    • Do you really need a 70-300?
      • "I generally take outdoor sky photos and lots of my grandson."
      • To me this sound like the 70-300 would not be used, maybe not at all, and thus a waste of $$$.
    • The 70-300 lens does NOT have IS (Image Stabilization). IMHO, IS is critical on a long lens like this, especially if you use the long end of the lens. That makes the less less useful.
    • The 50mm lens is a short tele. You would have that focal length in the 18-55 lens. The only difference is the wider aperture for a shallower depth of field.
    Personally, I would go for something like the Canon T6 + 18-135 lens.
    The 18-135 is a GREAT general purpose (GP) lens, though it is a bit larger than the 18-55 lens. And you avoid changing lenses if you need to go beyond the 55mm end of the 18-55. I use the Nikon equivalent lens as my GP lens.

Caution, if you look on Amazon and other site for a 18-135 and find it at less than $500, you need to find out if it is a US lens or a "gray market" (not imported by Canon USA) lens. Canon USA likely will not honor the warranty of a gray market lens, so you would have to pay for any repairs, if Canon USA will even repair a grey market lens.

Or you can buy a refurbished 18-135 lens from Canon for $400
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/ef-s-18-135mm-f-35-56-is-refurbished

So, the other option is to get the white SL2 (that you like) and a refurbished 18-135.
    Use both lenses, the 18-55 and 18-135 and determine which lens works better for you.
    The 18-55 would be a good GP indoor lens (and it matches the white SL2), the 18-135 a good outdoor GP lens (giving you more reach).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    Sure! Why not? One relative has a red camera and I think they are very attractive. As to lenses, there are "lens skins" and "lens coats" in LOTS of colors!

Lens Skins & Bumpers | B&H Photo Video

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Designer

Photos OK to edit
    BTW: since you say you don't know much about lenses, you can get more information on here (ask) or elsewhere online. Some of the members are well versed on Canon lenses. I'm more of a Nikon user myself, so I can't be much help with Canon lenses.

I might suggest looking for a lightly-used body and lenses. Get better image quality for a given budget. Not all lenses are created equally. I have purchased about 10 used lenses on flea-bay. Lots available, but as I wrote; you need someone with Canon expertise to know which ones are worth getting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CherpeAr

CherpeAr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks so very much for all the thoughtful responses. I’m still not 100% certain on cameras , more like 90%. The sl2 sounds great and the reviews are fantastic. Went to Best Buy last night to see some in person but they are pretty cleaned out however I saw a Nikon deal and the camera was nice looking and had articulating screen which I thought only canon had. So I’m going to do a bit of research on it. Saw a canon t7i and wow nice screen and help menu . all are sooo much nicer than the camera I’ve had for years .

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dean_Gretsch

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cameras are much like cars...each and every model will have an appeal for someone. I just upgraded to the t7i from my sl1 and I really like and appreciate the screen. The sl1 had a fixed screen, and I never realized I needed one until I got it. My upper middle-aged body said " thank you " for not having to physically take a knee for some shots now, lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit

Just be careful and watch your budget.
    It is VERY easy to overbuy, and pay a lot of $$$$ for stuff that you will never use.
    For us photo nerds, we love the extra features and use many of them, but most people are not like us. But even we have to watch our budget.
    Also as you go upmarket, the cameras get larger and heavier. You may not notice this in the store, when holding the camera for a few minutes, but when using it for a longer time (at a party, in the park, on vacation, etc.) the weight becomes more evident :(

With the T7i you are stepping upmarket. The Nikon equivalent would probably be the D5600 or D7200.
    • If you are a photo enthusiast, I would also look at the Canon 77D and 80D. Operationally I prefer them to the T series. But they are more expensive. So we go back to my warning, it is easy to overbuy.
    • The Nikon D7200 is 1 generation older than the D5600 and does not have an articulating screen. The current model is the D7500, which would be comparable to the 77D or 80D.
    If you are looking at the T7/D5600 cameras I would definitely look for the Canon with the 18-135 lens, and the Nikon with the 18-140 lens.
    The T7i + 18-135 sell for about $1,000 on Amazon. This is the camera+lens that my high school yearbook class uses.
    The D5600 + 18-140 sells for about $850 on Amazon.​

Yes, articulating or tilting screen are nice.
    That makes it much better than having to lay on the floor, dirt or mud, to get a low angle shot. Or shooting blind over your head.

• Agree Agree x 3