Real estate photos

João Ferreira

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm a real estate agent and all the pictures that I take is with the smartphone ( Huawei P30 Pro) and I'm thinking of buying a professional camera to take better indoors pictures.
I have made some reaserch and the Canon lens 10-18mm looks a good value for money but what do you think?
I also need a camera and I would like suggestions.
Do you think I will get really better pictures or do you think I should stay with the smartphone since there won't be any real differences?
I have never owned a camera before so I don't really know that much about photography.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Hello and welcome, you could use just about any camera for what you want.

I'm partial to Nikon full frame cameras, but Canon and Sony also make good systems.

Basic starter system:

A step up w/ wider lens for tighter interiors:
camera
lens

Save yourself a lot of money and just buy a good compact camera like Lumix TZ100 or TZ200. good luck...

Camera and lens aside, editing software can correct the often ugly distortion I see in many listing photos. Perspective control adjustments make a huge difference where first impressions count for so much online.

Get a camera where you can easily transfer the photos to your computer through wi-fi, Bluetooth, etc. Check with other agents and real estate companies who post excellent photos to see what equipment they use. If you're in the USA, call B and H Photo for advice explaining your situation clearly. You need a camera that keeps the verticle lines and walls straight whether in camera or with a photo program afterward that straitens the lines out.

From someone who has done a small smidgen of simi-pro home photos.

if you need it for fast and quick, find a mid level mirrorless bridge type camera or something like a Fuji.

On the Fuji mirrorless or even Micro 4/3 cameras, you can get a huge slew of wide angle lenses from third party vendors for uber cheap. (proportionally speaking that is.)

The 18-50 or 18-75 will be prefect.

The real crux is learning the need for the wide angle and how to shoot the images. Plenty of books on the subject.

Eventually you may look into a PC lens but that is far in the future.

Have fun.

Though property-dependent, think about drone shots, too.

Inside or outside photos or both?

Aside from the other good advice and options, I want to say, yes a "real" camera will take better photos. You have lens choices to match the situation, you could get by with one good zoom lens or a wide and a zoom, without making everything complicated.

You could need a good flash that has a diffuser on it. On camera or mounted on an arm. Mostly what I'm getting at is, bouncing the flash off the ceiling. Soft lighting.

I look at listings and say to myself, the photo stinks, it makes the place look unattractive, the exposure is wrong, poor lighting, shadows, gloomy. Someone used a cell phone... that has a tiny lens and a LED for a flash?

In the end, if you get a camera that you can change lenses or one that has a wide zoom range without a lot of distortion, most important is the settings that you control. And take the time to learn how to use it. Electrons are pretty much free. If you make mistakes, there's trash can and delete key. Try again. :encouragement:

Then you can learn to manage the images and get good sharp, bright, images that will make your listing more attractive, instead of detracting or not representing the quality and features, in the best possible way.

Or you could hire a photographer?

I photograph lots of properties where I'm based. I'd say you can pretty much use any camera with a wide angle lens and one that allows you to attach a speedlight (don't rely on camera's build in flash, just don't use it).

It's also knowing how to use it to achieve the desired effect but any camera body + wide angle lens + flashgun is a good combo to start with :)

Some photographers use a tripod as well but it slows you down massively and it depends on your market if your clients want to pay for your time. I do it all handheld bouncing flash of ceilings. Hope it helps :)

Most reactions

Back