really need help with this one

Algoessailing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hers's the deal. This is my favorite pic I've taken so far. Unfortunatly, I had just started shooting and didn't know what I was doing, and I need help to make look good. It was shot on Fuji superia extra ISO 200, pentax 100-400mm series one lense, F8.0, ap 1/500 with a Promaster red enhancer filter (for some reason I was obsessed with this filter at the time). I was a very foggy morning: I had hoped to get the sunrise over the Macinac bridge. I tried to adjust color to get the red out and ran it thru Neat image. This is my result:
12759511_img.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions?

Not even a red x.
Nothing.
It was like this this morning and I thought it was .... ooops. Something happened while I am typing this. The screen jumped and .....

....the picture is HERE! :D
It is huge. Too big for my screen. I have to scroll and scroll. Difficult for any sort of critique.

LaFoto said:
Not even a red x.
Nothing.
It was like this this morning and I thought it was .... ooops. Something happened while I am typing this. The screen jumped and .....

....the picture is HERE! :D
It is huge. Too big for my screen. I have to scroll and scroll. Difficult for any sort of critique.

LOL!!! I still see a broken image icon.

I have that problem a lot, but it loaded this time. I think I need a new host. If you do get the x, you should be able to right click and show picture

One thing that is buggin me is, it looks like it's tilted a bit...maybe not...I'm not sure..something about the angle bugs me. Other than that..there are other things, I'm just not sure exactly how to critique it. I don't know if it's a bad scan, but it's almost lookign a bit streaky to me. Or maybe it's my monitor. Or maybe it's the fact that I've been starting at a computer screen all day and I took a dose of Nyquil half an hour ago and I'm still up. :)

Not a bad start...

But since u don't really like the result of the image.. ok.... composition is one thing, u may try to look for a couple of different angles and find the one that pleases u most first before u shoot next time, try to look through the camera first, compose, and take your time for the pressing the shutter release. If u still can't get what u want from the raw print-out, try to see if cropping helps.

Focusing, were u trying to focus on the bridge at infinity or were u focusing on the water? If i were u, I would set it to infinity for the bridge, use even smaller aperture than 8, with a higher shutter speed, in order to make the pic look sharper if that's what u wanna achieve in the image.

Use a shorter lens for landscape might help too. long zooms are usually less sharp than, let's say 28 or 35 mm.

My 2 cents. Just keep on shooting, u will only be better and better on the skills if u enjoy doing it, which I think u are. :)

Anyone else? Correct me if I am wrong, too. I am learning always as well.

One more thing, try to do without the filtre next time, to see what will u get first. Then u will know where and when will u need filtres, and what will they do to the pic under certain lighting and time of the day.

Most reactions

Back