Rebel Xt & Sony Dsc-w1 owners....

Charles4400

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I just got a Rebel xt upgraded from my Sony Dsc-w1.
I am a complete amatuer and am only now getting into slr photography..

But it seems straight out of the box with standard settings on full auto mode on the Canon that my Sony is getting better, cleaner shots than the Canon! Is it the lens which came with the Canon Ef-S 18-55mm which is actually sub par to the Carl Zeis lens of the Sony?

Yes maybe later on down the line I will get more out of the Canon...but out of the box, has anyone else thought this between these 2 cameras (that the Sony actually is taking sharper more colorful pics?).

What is the main thing I'm doing wrong? Is it the lens
confused3.gif

I'm no expert or anything but try the manual modes and set the aperature and shutter speed yourself and choose a slower iso. I don't know the sony but the lens that the rebel has should be fine I would think? Unless something is wrong with your specific lens? I don't really know just tryin to throw out some suggestions

you should try taking two shots at once of the same object, using two cameras. then you will notice the difference. It is possible that different light source was used when you were taking a shot with canon, so the time of exposure was longer - the shot might be a bit more blurry, the grain might be bigger (highier ISO)... there are many parameters deciding about the quality of picture...

as mentos said, it would be better to have 2 photos taken with the 2 cameras of the same thing in order to have a good comparison.
Also to me I read that your problem is too general, some specifics would be nice (specially photos) I for one love my Rebel XT.
Now changing from a point and shoot to a SLR may be a little bit challenging at first, also there ARE diferences in how 2 different cameras read light and work in auto mode, I have never really bothered with the auto settings in my XT allways use it in manual. So maybe there are differences, as to the XT being lower than the sony I doubt it unless I could see picture comparisons

I'd say that you're probably partly right. The Sony DSC-W1 has a pretty good lens for a little compact and it's optimised for auto mode snapshotting. The kit lens is IMO a bit mediocre for the Canon.

However, there's the 50mm f1.8 II which is worth buying for sharpness and quality. There's also a multitude of great lenses out there which will help.

It's worth bearing in mind the quality settings on the camera - are you shooting in RAW, RAW + Jpg, what quality of Jpg? Also, make sure that you've got optimal shooting conditions, a couple of stops shy of wide open, using a tripod if necessary. Don't forget things like ISO, WB etc will also affect quality and appearance, and now you've got full control over all of them.

Any SLR with a decent sized sensor should be capable of beating a compact with a small sensor, so it's probably just bad luck so far!

Rob

I have the DSC-W1 and a D50 and I'm not sure the D50 takes significantly better shots assuming they're both under the same conditions but I wouldn't say that means the D50 or in your case the XT isn't a good camera.

I love the W1 and I think it's an awesome camera for what it does but I think you'll notice you can do a TON more with the XT than the W1 will let you. For example on wider angled shots the W1 only has F3.5 and F5.6 where the XT should go WELL beyond that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back