Receding Snow

TwoRails

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
RecedingSnow-LowResP1022925.jpg

Nice, perhaps consider a slightly longer exposure time to bring some detail into the snow and then work the dark areas in post?

I like it, just wish (like said above) there was more detail in the snow.. it's got a funny look to it. Like the idea and composition though :)

Nice, perhaps consider a slightly longer exposure time to bring some detail into the snow and then work the dark areas in post?

I like it, just wish (like said above) there was more detail in the snow.. it's got a funny look to it. Like the idea and composition though :)

Thanks for the replies and comments :) -- Ya, I'd love to learn how to get more detail in snow! I have to admit I don't know how. I took 27 shots trying to get a decent shot.

Here's an outtake, underexposed on purpose as I was trying to do just that: get some detail in the snow.

Any tips and tricks are more than welcome.

RecedingSnowOuttaek2918.jpg

Snow is tricky to expose correctly. Your meter is designed to see everything as a middle grey and base it's exposure information on that. Your best bet will be to get a grey card, and meter that. If you don't have one, or don't want to get one, then set your camera to 'Spot' place your hand in a part of the scene which has average illumination, and meter your palm. Then INCREASE your exposure by one stop (eg if your camera recommends 1/125 set it to 1/250) and that should get you in the ball park.

Thanks for the tips, tirediron: I'll keep trying :)

Have you tried exposure bracketing yet? Take 3 (or more) shots of the same subject (camera on a tripod) but adjust the exposure for each shot. Then in post take the best part of each different picture and composite them into one image.

I've actually never tried it but I've seen some pretty nice stuff done by a local HDR shooter.

No, haven't played much with bracketing, Samanax. No chance for a tripod for that shot as I was standing on an iced up ladder that was placed into close to a foot of snow. It was, however, one of my attempts of "weening off of Auto" and with shaking hands (it was about 28°F) I did manage to try a whole bunch of settings. It was also a challenge I put on myself, trying to get the bright snow versus the almost black (by eye) of most of the roof.

Agreed, this might have been a good time to try an HDR :)

Thanks for the comments.

nice picture love it

You found an interesting subject. This is more than a lot of people can do. Being able to expose that image exactly as you intend will come with practice, so keep at it!

Thanks, jv17: glad you like it ;)

Thanks for the kinds words, xtort- :) - I'll keep trying.

Most reactions

Back