DSC03324e.jpg

DSC03325e.jpg

DSC03555.jpg

DSC03048.jpg

DSC01063e-1.jpg

DSC01097e.jpg

DSC01666e.jpg

Dsc01241opt.jpg

I use my 50mm/1.7 and put it on aperature priority to make sure i stay on that 1.7 then auto shutter speed. I usually manually set my WB around 3000 and do some test shots and adjust from there. Continuous focus is a must too.

Just expect to take lots of shots and not keep a lot of them because of out of focus and not great composition lol. Sucks, but you rarely get perfect shots.

Stick to the suto focus. With such a small ap. # your not gonna be able to tell if it's in focus or not. Set your camera to the center focus point focus on the center and recompose. I liked about f/2.8 on my 50mm.

I like your #6 the most

I totally disagree with going Aperture mode. I set mine to time priority of 1/10th - 1/25th of a second and hope for the best. I go with the time mode to minimize subject movement. Some blur is ok but it's easier to save a dark photo than a blurred one. I keep checking what my Aperture value is when I shoot to see if I can speed up the exposure or if I need to slow it down. Each person on stage will move differently so some people will be ok with 1/10th, some won't be good until 1/25th or faster. And the light metering of your camera will in general suck because of the lighting changing every time they move.

I use a 50mm f1.8, 28-75 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8. I set the ISO to 800 depending on the lighting so that I can get 1/25th or so. I do test shots when they are doing sound checks. I also use little or no flash, the flash seems to do more harm than good. I generally won't do many shots at ISO 1600, they are too grainy for my liking.

And I expect about 80% - 90% of my shots to be bad. It's the nature of the thing. You're in the worse lighting conditions with people moving fast.

Some of my shots from last weekend, Strangeway @ the Pgh Hard Rock Cafe:
http://aavgroup.com/pix/strangeway/

That's the full set, no editing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back