Recent Bird Photos

jaree2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wanted to post some of my recent bird shots. Still using a 55-250mm lens, which as expected has been pretty limiting as my camera body doesn't quite have the MP to allow me to crop down to where I'd like. I've really been enjoying it however, it brings an extra edge of challenge to birdwatching. I have noticed that even when using a tripod or stable prop on a stationary bird, I seem to lose a lot of detail if I zoom in too closely - more than I would expect even with my camera body (Rebel XSi) - I'm suspicious this may be due to the quality of the lens (EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS II) or taking pictures at the full 250mm. Thanks for looking, and C&C welcome, I'd really like to improve with some of these birding shots.

Jack

1). Killdeer

2/3). Snow Buntings

4). Horned Lark

Possibly the lens ... it appears that f/8 is the sweet spot.
I think you missed focus on the first shot.
For birding ... you should look into a longer focal length lens.

love the last shot! Enjoying the challenge is what drives you to get better shots and invest in a longer lens.

Last one for me to.Nice job.

Yes nice shots.Love the perspective in pic #4

Thanks all for the kind words.

I thought this lens wouldn't quite cut it, but I'll have to play around with it a little more. A planned trip to Africa last summer was unfortunately cancelled last summer, but the plans are in place for this year - so I'll have to use this as leverage to let my wife allow me to grow my "camera fund" in time to purchase or rent a nicer zoom lens. Until then, I'll have to use it as an excuse to spend more time in the field trying to get a little closer to uncooperative subjects. I appreciate all the help.

Most reactions

Back