mommy-medic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
deleted

Last edited:
#1 looks good.
#2..whats with people and weird poses for newborns? just my personal taste..not a fan. focus looks soft in face as well.
#3 intentional so..if you like it.
#4 nice shot, good focus, good color.
#5 maybe a back focus issue? hand in back in focus (L hand), hand in front out of focus. (R hand)
#6 looks pretty good, but you caught part of the background in focus, part out of focus. I like it.

I would think about starting to work in square format. I am pretty sure I could take all six of those images and crop them to square format, as if they had been shot on a a Rolleiflex TLR (1928-1985), or a Hasselblad (1948-2012) or a Bronica SQ (197x-2000), and make them look like classic, old-timey baby photos made with film and professional, square-format cameras of the past eighty years.

I would think about starting to work in square format. I am pretty sure I could take all six of those images and crop them to square format, as if they had been shot on a a Rolleiflex TLR (1928-1985), or a Hasselblad (1948-2012) or a Bronica SQ (197x-2000), and make them look like classic, old-timey baby photos made with film and professional, square-format cameras of the past eighty years.
what he said.... beautiful work

#1.. lighting is ok. This is one of those times when a Horizontal format would have worked. You have a horizontal subject.
#2.. pose just looks weird! I would even say ugly. Almost deformed with the feet out there like that. Sorry.. just my opinion!
#3.. Dead space, and a incoherent subject (the mother may like it... but as a non biased observer.. MEH!)
#4.. very doll like.. . interesting! You need to seriously back off on the eyes though, the kid looks severely stoned or possessed.
#5.. That cloning / busy bokeh in the background is not pretty... very distracting. Highlights on the face are too bright too. I never have cared for this washed out Fake Vintage look anyway, but have see it done much better.
#6.. Looks like you used the Blur tool a bit too much, focus is in and out in odd places. Eyes are strange again, and looks like slight coon eyes.... needed fill.

Last edited:
cute, burned the edges of the iris a bit too much in the left eye (camera left) when you have eyes in sharp you don't need to do too much and be careful with what you do do to enhance them. ;-)

#1.. lighting is ok. This is one of those times when a Horizontal format would have worked. You have a horizontal subject.
#2.. pose just looks weird! I would even say ugly. Almost deformed with the feet out there like that. Sorry.. just my opinion!
#3.. Dead space, and a incoherent subject (the mother may like it... but as a non biased observer.. MEH!)
#4.. very doll like.. . interesting! You need to seriously back off on the eyes though, the kid looks severely stoned or possessed.
#5.. That cloning / busy bokeh in the background is not pretty... very distracting. Highlights on the face are too bright too. I never have cared for this washed out Fake Vintage look anyway, but have see it done much better.
#6.. Looks like you used the Blur too a bit too much, focus is in and out in odd places. Eyes are strange again, and looks like slight coon eyes.... needed fill.

I agree about the horizontal crop and will give that a try. I think I ordered this one in a 24x30, so the print version of this has less void room at the top. The newborn pose is a current popular "trend", and while awkward, is often requested (and a favorite of) clients. Just working on my composite shots. As for the baby with the apples, I didn't alter her eyes, not sure what to "back off" of. Nor did I add any blur- I used a shallow DOF, hence the OOF areas in the foreground and background. In hindsight I need to step it down a bit to allow more to be in focus, but it wasn't done in post processing. #6 had fill- note the catchlights. Here is another of her notoriously big eyes
(again with too shallow a DOF- still learning):

Maybe it is the large black limbal ring I am seeing as causing that effect with the eyes.

I know what shallow DOF looks like.. but normally when there are In focus and out of focus areas on the same plane, something is wrong... and the last shot looks that way. ;)

So what lens were you using at F1.4 on #5? Is that the natural bokeh, or is that bad cloning?

that was a 50 mil charlie, read exif lazy man. lol

I did go to Flickr and read the Exif.... since it was not in the shot she posted. And yes.. a 50mm... but WHICH 50mm? Cause that is either some REALLY bad cloning (probable) or some of the ugliest bokeh I have seen a 50 1.4 produce.

I did go to Flickr and read the Exif.... since it was not in the shot she posted. And yes.. a 50mm... but WHICH 50mm? Cause that is either some REALLY bad cloning (probable) or some of the ugliest bokeh I have seen a 50 1.4 produce.

lolz....

Probably bad cloning- the top left corner was the only cloned spot though. The rest of it was as-shot on a Nikkor 50 1.4. I didn't brun the edge of the iris- those are her eyes. As they are. If you go on flickr and open the image in it's full size you can see it.

I did open the flickr full version, even downloaded and blew it up in photoshop. It appeard to me I can see the brush strokes and circles from single pressure point vs. even strokes. But either way, just trying to offer solid advice. We all burn irises for impact, it's no biggie.

I think you shot these with the client in mind; in terms of business, that's probably the most important thing to remember. I'd be completely in love with portraits like these of my kid :)

Most reactions

Back