Rechargable Nimhs Flash capacity

Sark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all.

I recently decided to test my Energizer rechargable batteries to see how many pops at full power I was getting on some old Vivitar 283's (GN36).

The 2500mahs that came with the charger went to 200 pops before recycling slowed down. This was well beyond my expectations. However, when I tested some recently purchased Energizer 2450mahs they barely got to 30 pops. After recharging I got closer to 50 pops. The 2500mahs have been recharged quite a few times, so don't know if this helps.

Note...Testing was ten pops followed by a period of cooling down before another ten pops.

Also, for some strange reason Energizer include 2500mahs with some of their chargers, but 2450mah is the highest rating available seperately, although the difference should be negligible.

Just wandering what any users here are getting from there rechargables...

Sark

I haven't actually tested & counted mine, but 200 sounds about right for the time they begin to slow.

I've found (and read) that these batteries aren't always at the rated capacity. Sometimes it's because they get old & used, but sometimes they aren't that great when brand new.

I've got a charger that will test them and report an actually capacity. Every once in a while, I might see that one battery is well below what it should be.

There I some chargers that can push that capacity back up to where it should be. They call it a 'break-in' mode. It slowly pushes more charge, past the point where a charger will normally stop. I know a photographer who more than paid for the price of the charger by giving new life to 20+ batteries that had be used hard and no longer held a good charge.

Even if you don't have a really good charger like that, it's somewhat important to have a decent charger. Those quick chargers that usually come with batteries, are often bad for the life of the cells.

HERE is a good one with Break-in mode.

Hi all.

I recently decided to test my Energizer rechargable batteries to see how many pops at full power I was getting on some old Vivitar 283's (GN36).

The 2500mahs that came with the charger went to 200 pops before recycling slowed down. This was well beyond my expectations. However, when I tested some recently purchased Energizer 2450mahs they barely got to 30 pops. After recharging I got closer to 50 pops. The 2500mahs have been recharged quite a few times, so don't know if this helps.

Note...Testing was ten pops followed by a period of cooling down before another ten pops.

Also, for some strange reason Energizer include 2500mahs with some of their chargers, but 2450mah is the highest rating available seperately, although the difference should be negligible.

Just wandering what any users here are getting from there rechargables...

Sark

I would to only suggest that you have used external battery. So It would be help for while your battery get down slow. I was used external battery So It could be help me. You have to checked that there is no dust make the charger connection failure. Therefore, You can not charge your battery as well as earliest.

All rechargable batteries gain capacity when they are cycled, it could take 5 or 6 cycles on a new battery to get to full capacity; assuming they were good from the beginning. I don't believe that Energizers are the best Nimh out there, I've only used either Powerex or Eneloops.

The charger is important as is heat. If the batteries get too hot they will get damaged. I had bought Energizers for my son's xbox controllers with the 15 minute charger and it doesn't really do a good job at all. I have another charger thet can be as fast as 1 1/2 hours to charge the batteries or really slow, 6+ hours, and that seems to do a great job in charging the batteries. I've heard about the newer chargers that can analyze and help with reconditioning the batteries but for my use it is overkill.

I suggest trying the Powerex batteries along with a better charger and seeing if you get some extra life out of them vs the Energizers.

my Sanyo eneloop are quite good.

i use 2 sb-600 in some of my shoots and they last the whole shoot without slowing down. they worth the money + costco have them in large pack for a fair price.

I should have mentioned I have two 1 Hour chargers. I want to work with about 8 sets of batteries, so figured the really slow chargers might be a a bit of a drag. They do get a bit warm, but not overly hot.

Also, the Energizer models I use are supposed to anylyze and charge each cell seperately, but don't know how well they do this.

I think I will go with Eneloops in the future and maybe a better charger later on. Will see if the Powerex model is available in the UK, it looks pretty neat. For now I'm going to see if I can make a simple setup to fully discharge the cells as well, as this may help prior to recharging.

If the 2450mahs had performed like the 2500mahs that come with the charger I would be quite happy, even though they don't hold their charge for any great length of time.

Cheers for posting

Sark

Nimh batteries do not have a memory as does Nicad, no reason to discharge the battery completely. Eneloops have a lower capacity, about 2100 mAh, but they stay charged almost forever. Negular Nimh batteries lose about 1% of their charge a day.

I should have mentioned I have two 1 Hour chargers. I want to work with about 8 sets of batteries, so figured the really slow chargers might be a a bit of a drag. They do get a bit warm, but not overly hot.

Also, the Energizer models I use are supposed to anylyze and charge each cell seperately, but don't know how well they do this.

I think I will go with Eneloops in the future and maybe a better charger later on. Will see if the Powerex model is available in the UK, it looks pretty neat. For now I'm going to see if I can make a simple setup to fully discharge the cells as well, as this may help prior to recharging.

If the 2450mahs had performed like the 2500mahs that come with the charger I would be quite happy, even though they don't hold their charge for any great length of time.

Cheers for posting

Sark

Quick charging and the heat it generates will shorten the life of any rechargeable battery. It is better to have more sets and charge over a longer period of time.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back