What's new

Recomend me a 70mm-300 lens

rainking

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 8, 2010
Messages
446
Reaction score
1
Location
Binghamton, NY
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a cheap telephoto zoom lens in the 70-300 range no more than $300. I know, I know, invest in some quality glass and eventually I will but not right now. I don't need it to be fast since it will be used outside during the day. I've tried doing some research but there are so many choices. Should I go with Nikon, Sigma or Tamron? "Thanks" will follow.
 
Don't know if you can raise the budget a little higher. The new Tamron 70-300mm VC lens cost about $449 and have $50 rebate from Tamron. ($100 if you buy the camera kit together.) So after rebate is $399
 
Don't know if you can raise the budget a little higher. The new Tamron 70-300mm VC lens cost about $449 and have $50 rebate from Tamron. ($100 if you buy the camera kit together.) So after rebate is $399

Thanks, I'll look into that. Any experience with that lens?
 
I have not try that lens myself, but from what I read so far, it is quite good for the money.

Some user reviews
Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD SP AF - SLRgear.com!

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD for Canon Digital SLR Cameras


A non-technical review from Nikonians
Nikonians News & Blogs: Interviews, Talkshows, News and More



So far, most other review blogs or user review in other forums I read are great. I am debating if I should get it myself as well.

Most of the pros I read about the lens are
- Decent build quality (not professional quality of course)
- In lens focus motor is quite silent and quick.
- Optically are great through out the range (even at 300mm)
- VC works as advertised.

Most important, cost less than other competitors
 
I have not try that lens myself, but from what I read so far, it is quite good for the money.

Some user reviews
Tamron Lens: Zooms - Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD SP AF - SLRgear.com!

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD for Canon Digital SLR Cameras


A non-technical review from Nikonians
Nikonians News & Blogs: Interviews, Talkshows, News and More



So far, most other review blogs or user review in other forums I read are great. I am debating if I should get it myself as well.

Most of the pros I read about the lens are
- Decent build quality (not professional quality of course)
- In lens focus motor is quite silent and quick.
- Optically are great through out the range (even at 300mm)
- VC works as advertised.

Most important, cost less than other competitors

Thanks again! :thumbup:
 
Well this lens gets recommended a lot, especially for the price. If $400 (and a refurb'd unit) is doable, you can't go wrong with this one:

Used Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED 2161B

I don't know as much about this one (non-VR, non-AF-S), but it's quite affordable:

Nikon AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Lens (Black) 1928 B&H

Lastly, this one is new, and still slightly over your budget, but it's the new 55-300:

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Zoom Lens 2197 B&H

By way of background, I started a similar thread a while back, that addresses the first and last lens I've listed above:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...n-55-300-f-4-5-5-6-vs-70-300-f-4-5-5-6-a.html
 
Given your stated price range, I assume you want a lens with VR (useful for the long end of this lens anyway). Otherwise, the non-VR Nikon 70-300mm lenses can be had for $150 or less pretty much anywhere.

Personally, I think the best option near your price is the Nikon 70-300mm f/4,5-5.6 VR. It's about $150 beyond your price range though. I wouldn't do this, but if you are adventurous, here's one option -- you can get the D90 body plus the 70-300mm VR lens for $1109 from Adorama. Looks like new D90 bodies sell for about $750 on craigslist (make sure you check this is true for your area). So you could end up with the lens for about $350 if you craigslist the D90 -- not much over your budget. It is risky and, like I said, I wouldn't do it. But just a thought -- I'm certainly not advocating you do this :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention. I have the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens and very happy with it. IMO, it's an excellent value for the price.
 
Last edited:
Yes, I agree with whats said above - go for the Nikon 70-300 VR, as it's a bit out of your price range, look to get one refurbished or second hand.
 
Yep picked up my Nikon 70-300VR used on craigslist for $400. Best bang for the buck in the $400 range and can't see any other beating it. As tamron has had a long history of slow AF and more hunting with their longer zooms. But their new USD versions are suppose to eliminate that lag of being last in AF speed. Tho I haven't seen any shootouts yet between Sigma,Tamron and Nikon on it.
.
 
I have the 70-300 VR lens.

Most of the time, the VR is turned off as I am using it on a monopod or else a tripod. Both instances you want it turned off.

It's a nice lens for sure, just don't get hung up on needing VR. You may be surprised how little you do use it.

Just sayin'...

check with KEH for some decent equipment too.

Nikon Digital - Cameras, Lenses, Batteries & other Accessories - KEH.com

They've got some 70-300 G lens for $133-150. It's an option
 
I'm not surprised by how much I do use VR. As I don't lug around a tripod as don't even have one and a monopod rarely as I am just out & about around town. More of a non issue for those that use tripods quite a bit or always. Handheld shots it's a lifesaver. Especially us older farts with slight hand tremors and such. And don't lug around tripods and such.
.
 
The old nikon 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 af ed lens only cost around $100 on ebay. It's a very good performer for the $.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom