Recommendations for fixed lens, pro-grade camera?

zadok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

This is my first post! (Finally got around to joining a forum!)

Could use some advice sorting out the amazing choice of gear:

Am taking a backpacking trip along the Bay of Fundy this summer. My current light-weight camera is a Cannon SD-950 -- which I've long out grown. Plan is, shoot around 400 images and then post-process when I get home.

Main Issue: Dynamic range. Most of my scenic shots will be cliffs that are often in shade, against sun-lit ocean water. My current camera will not produce decent shots for these challenging HDR scenes. I mean I think my current capability is pretty bad. I can do manual HDR, but it's a pain, and the camera has limited exposure range. I'm old school. I've done a lot with 35mm SLR, often favoring a 24-28mm lens. The current 35mm focal length equivalent is not wide enough--issue #2.

I've never shot in RAW before, but I do graphic arts and am very adept with Photoshop and have to retouch images mainly for website work. Not concerned with jumping into Lightroom either. On the RAW specs, I might settle for a very good JPG camera if it would handle the HDR nicely -- but I'd really like to shoot in RAW as my pro friends all do.

I'd buy used if there were something, 16mp, or so, to get a better camera than new, if this were possible.

What I like:

Large image sensor
24-100 (35mm equiv) lens
RAW
Compact of course -- Not a DSLR
Budget: On the lower end, if possible!

What I've considered online:

Sony RX-100

Sony - Cyber-shot RX100 20.2-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

=============================

Nikon COOLPIX P7000 (used)
=============================

And articles like this:

9 Best Budget Mirrorless Cameras under $500 - ALC

I'm open to suggestions!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Large image sensor
24-100 (35mm equiv) lens
RAW
Compact of course -- Not a DSLR
I did not see where that Sony would capture the Raw file.

From my perspective, what good is a Raw file if the image quality is not that great anyway?

In other words; you want a compact camera (understood) that captures Raw files, but you have given little thought as to the sensor, the firmware, and the optics which are integral to the image quality.

If you were me, I would forget about trying to find a camera to specifically capture Raw files.

Raw = so what?

Here's my list of priorities:

1. Image quality
2. Usability (compact)
3. price

I was going to say...Sony RX-100...

From my perspective, what good is a Raw file if the image quality is not that great anyway?

Good point. Although I did not elucidate, top quality imaging is a must. So to rephrase, "whatever can capture a really decent image, have decent (24mm) wide angle capability, and is compact, not too heavy, and hopefully doesn't break the bank.

Budget-wise, I'm thinking a DSLR would be my go-to; my current quest is to take something light for backpacking trips.

Regarding image quality, I got to preview the new Samsung Galaxy S8+. Me and the Best Buy guy were actually messing around with it, comparing cameras and other smart phones. Just judging by the phone / camera's displays, the S8 seems to have a very good camera. Lot's of great things: Color rendition, HDR, sharpness, depth of field -- really quite good, IMO. I suppose I really don't have a point, except that I was impressed considering the package. Is it a phone or a camera?

Lower end:

Galaxy S8 vs $2000 camera and DSRL: camera comparison

Welcome to the digital age. Subjective, isn't it. A professional photographer who did a big event I attended is selling "digital negatives for $20 each." They are 9 mp, JPEGs. To each his own, I suppose. "You can print anything from these." Okay.

Regarding image quality, I got to preview the new Samsung Galaxy S8+. Me and the Best Buy guy were actually messing around with it, comparing cameras and other smart phones. Just judging by the phone / camera's displays, the S8 seems to have a very good camera. Lot's of great things: Color rendition, HDR, sharpness, depth of field -- really quite good, IMO. I suppose I really don't have a point, except that I was impressed considering the package. Is it a phone or a camera?

Galaxy S8 vs $2000 camera and DSRL: camera comparison

Welcome to the digital age. Subjective, isn't it. A professional photographer who did a big event I attended is selling "digital negatives for $20 each." They are 9 mp, JPEGs. To each his own, I suppose. "You can print anything from these." Okay.

It sounds like you've already decided .

Pro Grade...but non Zoom lens:
Sony RX1R II or Leica Q

Thanks everyone!

What I want is not made. The cheap pocket size cameras have come a long way, but with tiny image sensors and all plastic, I just can't go there.

I'm planning on keeping and using my current SD-950. It works, it's pretty rugged, and I'll just get a spare battery, good for several hundred shots then.

I'm most fascinated by Sony's new mirrorless DSLRs, like the entry level one: A-6000. Too heavy for a backpacking trip, but fine for day hiking, travelling, and a lot of other things. Just compact enough.

I have no reason to buy one today, but will keep looking. My beef is, after working in electronics for many years, those big CCd sensors are over-priced. You can buy a 4K TV for cheap now. Just wait a year or two. The real cost in building one of these cameras is the body and, in particular, the lens, not the sensor. Computer CPUs are another example. Super high-end CPUs still cost $300+, but a "decent" CPU is affordable -- a "high-end" I-3 for a hundred bucks.

I'll keep you guys posted...

Sony RX100 IV is good choice or the Canon M3 with the 22 f/2 is great as well and both are really compact.

The pro grade fixed lens camera that comes to mind is the Ricoh GR. It is popular with street photographers. Metal body, good lens, raw and lots of other good stuff.

Most reactions

Back