Recommendations for grey card

I've never used the Lastolite cards before, they do look interesting.

The only disadvantage I can see it has compared to the WhiBal is that it is a fabric (kind of a blessing and a curse...). What happens if it gets wet? Water would make it darker (I assume...), so you would have to wait for it to dry.

Unlikely - I know. But it could still happen; rain, snow, sweat, splash of water, etc.

I've never handled one in person, so all of that could be wrong.

Gryphonslair, does any of that apply?

They actually make a waterproof version for scuba diving, film crews etc. It is a well thought out product. From their site:

The EzyBalance ‘point and shoot’ allows you to concentrate on the important part of photography, composition and ‘capturing the moment’. This handy double sided ‘pop up’ 18% grey/white card simplifies the complex technical issues surrounding exposure and colour correction when working in different lighting conditions. This provides a major benefit when working under pressure at events such as weddings or fashion shows. A waterproof version is also available for Scuba Divers.

The WhiBal is also an excellent, well thought out product. Because my main focus is sports I choose the Lastolite for convenience. The large target that folds compact is a plus if you are metering an entire basket ball court for the first time or wanting to meter in a tricky area of a field under the lights and shadows.

The WhiBal is probably the tougher of the two. Harder to damage and easier to clean. If it wasn't for the sports preference I would probably use the WhiBal all the time. I have a small one that I use in the studio as the Lastolite is alway packed in my sports gear that is alwats ready to grab on a moments notice.

If it had been available at the time I bought mine I probably would have gone with this model. Newer and even more flexible in terms of use.
http://www.lastolite.com/xpobalance.php

I have been using the Lastolite card for about a year now and it is fantastic!
it is lightweight, easy to fold up and very accurate.

As was mentioned above, I can set a custom white balanve in a few seconds and save a ton of time in post later.

I run into so many photographers that do not set a white balance or just use auto and I do not understand why, it only takes 5 seconds and it is not a difficult process.
But I guess some people like spending aditional time processing images.........

I would hightly recomend the lastolite grey card!!!!

I stongly reccomend using the Ed. Pierce "Digital Calabration Target". It light weight, folds up, and is big enough to shoot at a distance.

Sincere question time... what does it do better than a whibal or lastolite unit that warrants a strong recommendation?

It cannot be more accurate than a whibal, it cannot be more foldable than a lastolite. If it was a 12 X 12 unit and sold for $15, it may be worth that strong recommendation.

Just wondering what your reasons were. :)

I'm still on the fence with that one. Sure, it takes 5 seconds to set a custom WB. It also only take 5 seconds to apply a singe WB to a whole set of images in post.

Either way, if your light remains constant, it's easy to adjust the WB.

If you light is not constant, then you might have to either set a new custom WB every time...or you have to adjust it in post. So when is your time more valuable...during a shoot or when you are doing post?

I'm still on the fence with that one. Sure, it takes 5 seconds to set a custom WB. It also only take 5 seconds to apply a singe WB to a whole set of images in post.

Either way, if your light remains constant, it's easy to adjust the WB.

If you light is not constant, then you might have to either set a new custom WB every time...or you have to adjust it in post. So when is your time more valuable...during a shoot or when you are doing post?

I'm not sure that this really applies. You don't have to actually set a custom white balance - you just take a picture of the grey card so that you have a benchmark to balance the other pictures to in post.

Yes, you would have to take a seperate 'grey card shot' for each lighting situation you encounter throughout the day. But taking a picture is not really that hard.

The way I do it is this:
  1. Take picture of WhiBal
  2. Take desired photos
  3. *Maybe* take another WhiBal shot at the end, if I think the light might have changed a little
  4. Import everything to Lightroom
  5. Click White Balance on the WhiBal shot
  6. Sync all of the other shots to that one

I guess as long as there was something in the picture that you could do a click white balance on, you wouldn't really have to mess with a grey card. Probably wouldn't be as accurate or consistant, but it would probably be "close enough" most of the time.

Last edited:
But taking a picture is not really that hard.
It's even easier to move a slider with your mouse ;)

To be fair, if I'm doing a shoot where I want accurate color/WB...then I would consider using a custom WB or at least have something to use as a calibration subject to eye-dropper in post. But most of the time, I consider the WB to be a creative choice...it doesn't have to be accurate, it just has to look good to me. If someone's skin tones benefit from a warmer setting...then that's what they get.

Frankly, I think it all comes down to which end of the camera you want to do the color correction at. Before the shooting begins or after you're done in post processing.

The way I do it is this:
  1. Take picture of WhiBal
  2. Take desired photos
  3. *Maybe* take another WhiBal shot at the end, if I think the light might have changed a little
  4. Import everything to Lightroom
  5. Click White Balance on the WhiBal shot
  6. Sync all of the other shots to that one

Does this not seem a bit redundant, just as a point if you are taking the time to take a WhiBal shot as step 1 why not just set the custom WhiBal at that time?
Then you can take your photos and then when you import them into lightroom, there is nothing left to do, you do not need to sync all your other shots because it has already been done.

If the blance seems a bit off you can adjust and synce, but if everything is fine, the you get to skip that step.

Just my point of view

Does this not seem a bit redundant, just as a point if you are taking the time to take a WhiBal shot as step 1 why not just set the custom WhiBal at that time?
Then you can take your photos and then when you import them into lightroom, there is nothing left to do, you do not need to sync all your other shots because it has already been done.

If the blance seems a bit off you can adjust and synce, but if everything is fine, the you get to skip that step.

Just my point of view

Unless you want to do those minor tweaks if it seems a bit off. Kind of like carpentry, measure twice, cut once. Besides, if you have the time, what is 5 seconds out of your life? :D It's really just one of those personal things that each photographer decides for themselves.

if you are taking the time to take a WhiBal shot as step 1 why not just set the custom WhiBal at that time?

By taking away the "sync" step, you add the "set photo 'x' as custom white balance" step. Seems pretty much the same to me, same number of steps too. I just like doing it the way I do it.

...Plus, my LCD is broken, so setting a custom white balance would be very tricky. ;)

Most reactions

Back