Recording Artist Portrait

Experts have mentioned that image stabilization does not work as well in macro shooting as it does in normal- distance work. Still, Canon's IS technology does work well, and it allows slow-speed hand-holding and panning, and is useful in the wind or when shooting from a boat.The price difference between the L (IS) and the non-L is pretty large. I payed $160 used for the non-stabilized internal focus 100 macro in 2003. There was a 100/2.8 which was _not_ internal focusing.

A 100-105mm focal length looks quite beautiful on pictures of people...it's subtly different from shorter lens lengths like 50 or 70 or even 85mm.

The longer the lens focal length the more objects behind the point of focus are magnified in actual size, and longer lenses appear to "flatten" the scene. Longer lenses also force you to step back a ways,which leads to what most people consider a more flattering perspective.

Canon also makes a 100mm f/2 non macro lens which gets very little love, even though it is quite a good Imager.

Canon also makes a 100mm f/2 non macro lens which gets very little love, even though it is quite a good Imager.
I didn't even know about that lens until you mentioned it here.

Experts have mentioned that image stabilization does not work as well in macro shooting as it does in normal- distance work. Still, Canon's IS technology does work well, and it allows slow-speed hand-holding and panning, and is useful in the wind or when shooting from a boat.The price difference between the L (IS) and the non-L is pretty large. I payed $160 used for the non-stabilized internal focus 100 macro in 2003. There was a 100/2.8 which was _not_ internal focusing.
I can definitely see how IS could be really helpful, but even with the non IS version I seem to have minimal issues (definitely not perfect) with portraits and macro beauty shots. Currently the L version is discounted to $699 and the non L version is $599, so if $100 is of no concern, I certainly wouldn't raise my eyebrows to someone choosing the L version over the non.

Well, I do drink too much coffee throughout the day! hahah steady hands are not my speciallity! though I have to assume I has always been led to believe that the L series had more of a premium glass that would render better quallity image, not only aditional IS and a red line! lol I never had one, though!
The price for the L version currently has a pretty good discount on it, making it only $100 more than the non L version if you're buying new off of the Canon website, so I wouldn't blame you for going with the L version if you can justify the $100 difference.

Years ago the late Dirk Vermierre (sp?) Did lots of fantastic photos with the 100mm f/2 using the aps-c Fuji S2 Pro. It is an extremely underused lens.

Years ago the late Dirk Vermierre (sp?) Did lots of fantastic photos with the 100mm f/2 using the aps-c Fuji S2 Pro. It is an extremely underused lens.
If I ever see one at a decent price and can justify buying a second 100mm lens, I'll likely get it to see how I like it for portraits. After using the 135mm for so many years, I think I'm finding that I much prefer the added versatility of the 100mm focal length in comparison. It's just a little more practical.

I have never seen a used 100/2... I am mainly a used lens buyer... I like to get a good deal when I buy a lens... there is a huge number of 135 mm f/2L lenses on the market and I used to have one, but like I said I have never seen a single 100 F2 in the real world on the used Market

I have never seen a used 100/2... I am mainly a used lens buyer... I like to get a good deal when I buy a lens... there is a huge number of 135 mm f/2L lenses on the market and I used to have one, but like I said I have never seen a single 100 F2 in the real world on the used Market
It looks like you can order a refurbished one with a 1 year limited warranty for a decent price off of the Canon website. Not a bad option if I can't find used.

I would wager that at least one or two of the large national retailers of used equipment has a 100 mm f/2 Canon EF in stock. Perhaps even Samy's Camera in Los Angeles has one in its large used inventory.

Most reactions

Back