Red Squirrel

JonathanM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a pine forest on the coast about 30 miles from where I live.
It is renowned for the population of red squirrel, which in the UK is under threat from the pox virus carried by grey squirrel, who are not native to the UK (greys are classed as vermin, red are protected)

Shots taken after some snowfall in February, Olympus E500, long zoom. Poor lighting conditions so shot at ISO 1600 - apologies if too grainy or flat.

_2090044-1.jpg

_2090031.jpg

oh how cute...

i really like the second pic...

ahh those animals are fast...good job....;)

great to see one of them :)

they are still very common in Germany, but as you say almost extinct in the UK .... :(

Nice shots - I know from experience how hard it is to get good shots of the cute little buggars! (Which, as Alex B rightly pointed out, are still very much around in Germany. In fact, I see one or two most days.)

Did you crop the first one? I think it would have been just perfect with the entire log - or did that become a victim of the necessity to catch 'em quick?

great shot.

i love the little red fellas...pity that in my lifetime they will probably all be gone :(

you would think scientist would come up with something wouldnt ya

where did you shoot them, Freshfield Nature Reserve?

great shot.

i love the little red fellas...pity that in my lifetime they will probably all be gone :(

you would think scientist would come up with something wouldnt ya

where did you shoot them, Freshfield Nature Reserve?

The place up at Formby Point, yes. Been meaning to go there for years but only got around to it in Feb this year! And that was because of the snow!

Lovely to see - common in my youth but I think they have even gone from Thetford Forest in Norfolk now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back