Rediscovering Landscape 4

Hertz van Rental

We're supposed to post photos?
Reaction score
I've started looking at the uneasy relationship between man and his environment. Stupidity seems to be good at providing photo oportunities.
I also want to get away from the chocolate box view of landscape and inject some reality.
I sometimes think Ansel Adams' pictures would have been more interesting if he hadn't moved the old mattresses and shopping trolleys out of the way :lol:

LandscapeWithFridge.jpg

Your thought process and or views are on point. This particular photo may fall short of the idea. Good subject matter, but could use more investigation. I say post all the photos from this shoot. Personally I think you are on to something. The subject matter is heavy and could take a lot of time to capture.

Funny you mention Adams "chocolate box" or "cookie cutter" view of landscapes. I think he himself expressed that his photos were closer to a chemist as opposed to an artist.

craig said:
Your thought process and or views are on point. This particular photo may fall short of the idea. Good subject matter, but could use more investigation. I say post all the photos from this shoot. Personally I think you are on to something. The subject matter is heavy and could take a lot of time to capture.

This particular image has taken some 50 years to capture - and I have investigated this theme off and on for over half of that time. How much longer would you suggest I spend on it? For me, it captures the mood and feel of the moment and embodies my feelings, attitudes and ideas about what I saw.

As for posting all the photos that I took of the subject: I don't work like that. This is the one that I want to share with you and that's it, as far as I'm concerned. On to the next one. ;)

I too think you're really on to something here. And I like this shot. It has a good contrast between the serene beauty of the countryside and the jarring, out-of-placeness of the refrigerator and the bedclothes (?). Nice that some of the bedclothes are orange -- a wonderful color to add to the shot since it grates against the peaceful green of the hills. And the lighting is perfect: a melancholy grey for a melancholy (sp?) subject that makes the fridge "pop" out at you. Nice composition, too.

Can't wait to see your next one!

I looked at this earlier, but decided to think about it before commenting. Having had another look, I think I really like it. Its an interesting idea and a difficult shot to pull off. I think you did good! :thumbup:

Well... Shows ya how much I know. Of course the beauty of forums' is varying opinions. I am still sticking to my view. More importantly I am glad you spilled your thoughts on the photo.

Being happy with the frame IS most important. We could analyze this one to death with no correct answer. Like you said "on to the next one".

Interesting photo though this theme has been done before.Personally I hate seeing rubbish on the side of the road and if these photos can make people
cringe then that is a good thing.
I had a good laugh at your site name,pretty funny I thought. :lol:

craig said:
Well... Shows ya how much I know. Of course the beauty of forums' is varying opinions. I am still sticking to my view. More importantly I am glad you spilled your thoughts on the photo.

Being happy with the frame IS most important. We could analyze this one to death with no correct answer. Like you said "on to the next one".
It does indeed show how much you know ;)
This image pretty much answers the questions I was asking myself at the time - you will have to answer your own questions :lol:

this is a good idea, but its very dark and the objects hardly catch my attention due to this.

I love how you've grasped the subject matter - I find myself thinking constantly about how beautiful landscapes are generally spoiled in some way. It's probably just me but for some reason this still seems a little bit "unreal" in that there's a softness to this shot, whether it's because of the overcast sky/mist/colouring, I'm not sure. It just seems that it needs something in the post processing to harden it up or make it more gritty somehow. Just my humble opinion and I know others may not agree with me.

At the end of it all, though, this shot makes you think, which is what I believe art is supposed to be all about. Thanks for making me think today!

Most reactions

Back