Reflector Questions

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1. What size would be a good size?

2. What is the frame thingy called that you put on a reflector that keeps it from being flimsy in the wind? I think my teacher called it a tri something...

3. I don't have an assistant... Should I get a stand? Something long to extend it with? Nothing?

I plan on getting a 5 in 1 reflector. Seems to be the best idea for me. But then again, I know nothing about this so if anyone has any specific suggestions, please let me know. Money isn't a major issue at the moment, but I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars on just reflector type equipment.

1. i use a 5-1 24 inch and a 56 inch. both are good for different things. obvious reasons
2. i dont think generally there is a name, just clamp it to anything that wont move.
3. i dunno, i have an assistant. putting it on a stand and helping with sand bags is nice

I just got a 36 inch 5 in 1 reflector. Do some hunting, and you can get em cheap. I got mine for $15 at a camera show swap thing!

I dont have an assistant, and I am quickly finding I will need to get some sort of stand. It would make things much easier..

Different sizes are needed for different things. Clamps that mount the reflector to a stand are useful and so is an assistant but you can do it all yourself with a proper stand.

Lowe's plumbing department is your friend when it comes to making your own reflector frames. If you have a sewing machine and a few tools you can easily make professional looking reflectors. All of mine are home made but you wouldn't know it by their look.

Reflectors are great but no one ever talks of diffusers... They are as useful when shooting outdoors and should be part of your lighting kit.

Last edited:
Square and rectangular reflectors and diffusers are what I prefer. Square and rectangular reflectors have a flat edge that makes them easy to prop up, stake down, and stake/tape/clamp/prop/double-clip/V-clip,suspend with cord or rope. Circular reflectors are a pain in the ass, and require all types of grip equipment to stabilize,angle, and position them. Two rectangular frames, held together with clamp/tape/clips/cord can be made into a free-standing V-frame reflevtor OR a free-standing A-frame reflector; try THAT with a pair of round reflectors...

Look at the Scrim Jim line for sizes of fabrics, and then make your own out of PVC piping. 36x36, 42x42, 42x72 are all good sizes.

The 'best' size is usually going to be...as big as possible. Of course, you probably can't be hauling around a huge reflector, especially if you don't have anyone assisting you....so you'll have to make a compromise on what is big enough but not too big to carry. That's why the folding/collapsible reflectors are so popular. A PVC framed reflector is probably easy to transport when it's broken down, but may be a PITA to set up.

For holding round reflectors, the usual tool is an arm that connects to a light stand (or Tripod) and has two clips to hold the reflector. These do work, but it's not idea....and that's in a studio. Outdoors, with even a slight wind, and it's would be very problematic. As Derrel mentioned, a flat edged reflector can make things much easier...but even then, wind can really give you a headache.

If you are using a reflector outdoors, there really is no substitute for a 'voice activated light stand'....aka, someone to hold the reflector. If you don't have an assistant, then ask the model/subject to bring a friend etc.

If you are just shooting head shots, they make triangular reflectors that have a handle in one corner, thus allowing you to hold it in one hand while shooting. Not idea but it might work. Another idea would be to keep the camera on a tripod and hold the reflector yourself, firing the camera with a remote or the timer....again, not idea but there you go.

And yes, I would recommend the 5-in-1 type...not because I like the gold or silver sides...but because when you strip it down, you get a diffusion panel, which can give you some really, really great light...but you'll likely need someone to hold it for you.

I like the 42s 5 in 1 i have.. like mike said, Most of the time i use the silver side and stripped down, the diffusion panel works great when models have the sun in her face and you want to kill those highlights.

If you are just shooting head shots, they make triangular reflectors that have a handle in one corner, thus allowing you to hold it in one hand while shooting. Not idea but it might work. Another idea would be to keep the camera on a tripod and hold the reflector yourself, firing the camera with a remote or the timer....again, not idea but there you go.

And yes, I would recommend the 5-in-1 type...not because I like the gold or silver sides...but because when you strip it down, you get a diffusion panel, which can give you some really, really great light...but you'll likely need someone to hold it for you.

Definitely probably what I will end up doing since I am also buying a new remote... The one I have misfires or just doesn't fire when I need it to and it's frickin annoying...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back