Refurbished camera

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would most say a refurbished camera would have a low shutter count? This would be my assumption as most would have been sent back shortly after purchase.
Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Not necessarily, but more details are needed.
Refurbished has multiple definitions. It simply means it was re-worked at some time. shutter count is meaningless.
But the gist is that it was sent back and factory re-worked. (typically).
Though, refurbished can also mean that some second level or shade tree mechanic got to it and "reworked" it.

Typically if refurbished by the manufacturer moving parts and those that were defective are replaced. If the defect was with the sensor only then the board itself maybe fine. Some defects are due to inadequate weather sealing, bad shuuters, or just that the customer changed their mind. Then it could just be a cosmetic touch up. Unfortunately manufacturers don't off details on why it was refurbished.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The thing to watch out for is as Soocom1 said, WHO did the refurbish.
  • I would not trust the "refurbished" sales on eBay, cuz some/most of them are probably someone wiping the body clean and calling it refurbished. IOW a "refurbished" is a fancy new name for "used." If you notice, there is no manufacturer refurbished warranty, just the store/seller's "warranty."
  • With manufacturer refurb, it was checked out by a tech, and any problems fixed.
    This is why I would trust a manufacturer refurb over a used.
  • Note manufacturer refurb could be product refurbed at the factory, or by the regional/country distributor.
    Example Nikon USA is the US distributor, not the factory. And they have their own service center.
Review cameras that come back may be just cleaned, minimal checking, repacked and called refurb.
  • Although given some of the stuff that I see and read of how some of the reviewers treat the gear, it would be prudent for the mfg to give review cameras a full refurb check.
Refurb could also be a "trade in," in which case, the shutter count may or may NOT be low.
  • But if it is put through the same refurb checks and fixes, is it not refurbished?
  • What the manufacturer calls a "refurb" is the key. At what point in the camera's life is it NOT considered "refurb?"

It would be factory refurbished from Canon.

Do canon give any warranty with their referb

Would most say a refurbished camera would have a low shutter count? This would be my assumption as most would have been sent back shortly after purchase.
Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

When I got my refurbished 7d from Canon many moons ago, it came with 1 year warranty and shutter counts was few hundreds. Around the same time, in another forum, someone even reported his refurbished camera had less than 50 shutter counts. So based on the look and feel of the refurbished camera I received from Canon as well as other at that time, I am not too worry about the shutter count.

Most reactions

Back