Relay for Life - Pomona, CA

Seefutlung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.garyayala.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A combo fundraiser and awareness campaign sponsored by the American Cancer Society.

There was was a great atmosphere of a huge family picnic, laughter and fun. But every time you turned around there was a purple 'Survivor' shirt and the seemingly endless line of luminarias, each in tribute to a loved one who has fallen to cancer. In essence, a bitter-sweet event.

Gary

GRA20146.jpg

The Relay comprised of teams and each team was to have a team member walking the track throughout the 24 hour event. This is the Luminaria procession lead by cancer survivors.

GRA20084-L.jpg

When nighttime fell, the Relay had a Candlelight Observance, cancer victims spoke and sang reminding all of us why we were participating.

GRA20030-L.jpg

My mother's Luminaria, decorated with pressed flowers from the yard. She passed three years ago from cancer.

P6230041-L.jpg

An eating contest was held, contestants were to make mincemeat out of watermelons.

P6230059-L.jpg

A young Survivor gives it his best shot. (He may have lost his hair to therapy, but for me, he's a winner.)

GRA20087-L.jpg

After the procession we watched a slide show of family and friends who were taken by cancer. In the background "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was playing soft and slow ... so respectful you could hear pin drop.
GRA20088-L.jpg

P6230018-L.jpg

(OM-D EM-5)

nice set,Sorry about you mom, I too lost my father to cancer in 1998. My mom lives in pomona I wish I knew about this event, I would have loved to be there and show support.

nice set,Sorry about you mom, I too lost my father to cancer in 1998. My mom lives in pomona I wish I knew about this event, I would have loved to be there and show support.

Thank you Coltsfanatic1. My condolences for your father. The event was at the Fairgrounds. I have friends in Pomona who sponsored a team and asked me to join. My family is from Chino.

Gary

Tried three times and couldn't write what I feel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back