Releases

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend owns a tattoo shop and has been doing his own photos. In the tattoo "contract" he has a clause about a release for using pictures in his portfolio and for advertising.

He approached me about doing some photos for his shop and I am wondering if I would need to get a separate release for these or if his release would cover me. This will be done as a favor and he will have full usage of the photos. I don't see any want or need for having any access to these photos for myself in the future.

If I was going to be shooting someone that I might want to use can I get them to sign my release too in that situation or would I be better off ALWAYS getting my own signed too...

I know laws vary place to place but I'm not sure where to look so mainly looking for opinions.

Thanks for reading

Online is not a reliable place to get legal advice. The best thing to do is contact a local attorney.

KmH is right on the ball, but there is a little bit of help out there for Canadians. Ambient Light is a good resource for some laws concerning photographers. Pay close attention to copyright! Remember that in Canada, for some perverse reason or another, if a photographer is paid for a job, unless stated otherwise, said photographer is not the first copyright holder, the person/entity/company/client paying for the photography is the first copyright holder. (I strongly advise against giving up your usage rights. You never know how you might want to license your images in the future. Don't do it! License your photos; don't "sell" anything.)

You should also check-out the PPOC (Professional Photographers of Canada). They have legal resources that will help you, but you'll have to pay a membership fee for the full deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back