Remembering Irving Penn

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
I am sure the LA Times can write the obit better then I.

Irving Penn dies at 92; a giant of photography -- latimes.com

How has Penn influenced your work? What are some of the feelings his work has evoked? Also add an other ramblings you may have.

My love for Penn is widely known. I was first introduced to his work while studying photography at SVA. His perception of beauty has had a profound impact on my photography since that time. A master in every sense of the word.

Peace to the Gods

One of my early photography mentors was a college photography and art professor who loved the simplicity and the direct, simple, unflinching style Penn developed. Not a lot of props in the photos, simple yet effective lighting, and a quiet eye. I don't know that Penn influenced me directly all that much, but I do strive for a direct, unmanipulated, straightforward look in my work.

I don't do a lot of Photoshop manipulations and exaggerations, and prefer a quiet, simple photographic rendition of human subjects. I abhor the new trend toward heavy application of skin smoothing and noise reduction that renders human skin in a way that makes it look plastic,and takes away all the pores and wrinkles and blemishes that real people have. So I guess, in a way, maybe some of Irving Penn's style and working methods were imparted to me via an early photo mentor I had. I don't think about it much, really. I just know that the recent trend toward more and more manipulation and even outright fakery and skin softening is not something I want to be a part of.

Yeah man. Penn started as an artist at Vogue. Alexy Bodovitch moved him to photography and the photo world was never the same. His compositions are based purely on light and form. So advanced, but very basic in appearance.

Penn had an eye that is very rare. His skill in the darkroom could be equated to todays ps manipulation.

Love & Bass

Last edited:
I think most would respect his work! I do!

One of the greatest photographers of the 20th century. I was hoping this post would have been 3 pages long by now. Why it is not is a question for a smarter man then me.

Speaking of great photographers I checked out your website. Your work is stunning. World class for sure.

Love & Bass

I was hoping this post would have been 3 pages long by now. Why it is not is a question for a smarter man then me.

:lol:

Don't feel bad. I posted a similar thread on another forum and only got 1 response: "Who's he?"

Tbh, I don't know that fashion photographers' names are widely known. You learned of him in school and I learned of him by going through photo books and magazines but he is not someone that I've ever heard discussed much in my circle of photography friends. Maybe, probably, because none of us were overly interested in the fashion world.

If you were to post a thread asking members here to name 5 fashion photographers, I doubt you would get much of a response. Unless they google it :D

I used to often be surprised by how little photographers know of the history of their art. Not anymore, I have just accepted it. Sad, yes, but what is there to do about it.

What is funny about Irving Penn is that he had a huge influence on how many people work today in the studio. For those who don't know, he was one of the first ones to use seamless white (or gray) backgrounds.

Thanks for the insight! I always enjoy your posts Cloudwalker.

Photo history is an essential part of any photographers journey. Realize and recognize People!

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back