What's new

Removing out of focus parts of images? Any tools for that?

ByRiker'sBeard1

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 27, 2026
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
New York State
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to take many photos of the same scene using a shallow depth of field and focus at multiple distances. I'd like to extract out all regions of all photos that are out of focus and make them white (transparent). How can this be done? I want to create a 3D effect in post.
 
If you want just one image where everything is in focus, it's called 'focus stacking'. It won't look '3D', just in focus.
 
Some cameras and/or lenses will create the stack in camera. But I still use a focus rail manually and stack in LRC or Photoshop. As for removing the unwanted parts standard masking/removal tools will work.
 
If you're not after focus stacking then I suspect you'll have to do it manually, using options like masks in Photoshop or similar editing software.
 
This is literally the definition of focus stacking.
I never said I was recombining them right away. I wanted to possibly tint different images to visually give a sense of actual distance from camera, or even decrease saturation making any scene look like it's going out into a great distance.
 
Something like this.

A photo is a 2-dimensional object. It appears you're wanting a 3-dimensional object. I don't think what you're wanting to do is physically possible.

For instance, you have a person standing in front of a building. You focus on the person, take a shot, then focus on the building and take another shot.

How do you expect to create a 3-dimensional object that, when turned, to display the portion of the building that was covered by the person?
 
Sounds like you need video animation software to give movement to flat images.
 
A photo is a 2-dimensional object. It appears you're wanting a 3-dimensional object. I don't think what you're wanting to do is physically possible.

For instance, you have a person standing in front of a building. You focus on the person, take a shot, then focus on the building and take another shot.

How do you expect to create a 3-dimensional object that, when turned, to display the portion of the building that was covered by the person?
Not volumetric. Just create clear separations between depths. Movies not filmed in 3D can be recomposed to make one eye see foreground differently than background to make it at least pop. I just want to crossection the world.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom