Replacing Shutter Mechanism - Shutter Actuations - Ethics

phosphurx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This question is sort of touched on in other threads but i though rather than hijacking one of them....

As the shutter count seems to be a measure against how long the shutter mechanism may or may not last,
If i was to replace a faulty shutter mechanism on a Nikon D90 with the prospects of selling it.

Should i reset the shutter count on the D90 so that it shows the actuation count of the new shutter?

My view is, if I bought a camera with a new shutter mechanism I would want the actuation count to reflect
the current shutter's actuations. but it would also be nice to know how much usage the camera previosly had.

Thoughts.

I'd reset the shutter count and include the bill and other details of the installation of the new shutter with the various other details and paperwork with the camera. How many shots its taken before isn't really a worry for the new owner at all.

Fascinating.

One can reset the shutter count on a Nikon? I didn't think even Nikon could do that.

Do tell.

I assume by shutter count we mean the count on each photo taken right?

I assume by shutter count we mean the count on each photo taken right?

With Nikon, you can reset the file numbering if you want.

Let's say the camera is new, and you take 100 shots. Your files will be named XXX_0001 through XXX_0100. If you want, the next time you use the camera (after deleting the old images), the numbering will restart at XXX_0001.

Most people change that so the next shoot will start at XXX_0101. It's under the Custom Shooting Menu > File Number Sequence.

But the actual shutter actuation count, I doubt you can reset to zero.

Last edited:
hmm I'm probably mixing them because, canon side, we can't actually see the "shutter count" at all on most cameras (without using 3rd party software). So our photo count pretty much is our shutter count (unless you reset it often).

hmm I'm probably mixing them because, canon side, we can't actually see the "shutter count" at all on most cameras (without using 3rd party software). So our photo count pretty much is our shutter count (unless you reset it often).
You can't see the actual shutter count on a Nikon either however it is part of the EXIF data. You CAN reset the image numbering, as 480sparky said, but you can't reset the shutter count as far as I know.

For Nikon's launched since 2005 or so the total shutter count is written to the EXIF data's Maker Notes section.

This is what it looks like using the Opanda EXIF reader:

ScreenShot006.png

BUT can Nikon reset it when they replace the shutter mechanism?
You'll likely have to ask Nikon, but like Ken, I don't think they do even if they can when they do a shutter replacement.

The total shutter actuation count gives an indication of how extensively other electro-mechanical parts of the camera have been used, like the shutter release button, the mirror assembly, the aperture motor, etc.

Thanks for your responses,
Reflashing or upgrading the firmware the D90 has been reported to reset the shutter count that the camera places in the Exif data
having not actually done this for myself (yet) I can't absolutly guarantee this.
If it is the case this may also work on other body's?!

Nikon upgraded the firmware on my D40 this past summer while replacing the SD lock; the shutter count was not reset. I don't know anyone who has had the shutter replaced, so I don't know if they reset the counter.

A search on the interweb for "reset shutter count nikon" seemed to indicate that reseting the firmware was one method in which to accomplish this, someone was complaining that it had happend to their D90 also.
someone else that Nikons Official Statement was :
There is no way to accurately tell the total number of times your camera shutter has released. While there are third party software applications designed to read a cameras shutter count, this number is not always accurate because the shutter release times may be reset by firmware updates, or reset in the Service department if certain parts are replaced or other operations are performed.

Perhaps it only happens for the D90 perhaps not at all.
and if not... it makes my first post to this forum a rather... redundant one.

I will however test this (eventually) and let you all know the results.

I have little doubt that Nikon COULD reset the shutter count if they so desired, however it is unlikely that they WOULD reset it. As was noted above, and much like the odometer in a car, it's an indication of the overall use of the entire camera and not just the shutter.

Most reactions

Back