replacing the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

japie10

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a replacement of the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.
I like to shoot sports like waterpolo. Most of the times the swimming pools have poor lighting and the 70-300 doesn't do it for me.

But I like the full range of the 70-300.

I found myself 2 options to get some new lens(es) as a replacement for this lens.

1. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II + a 1.4 TC to get close to the 300 mm again.

2. Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS + Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS.

Which is a better option to go for?
Or do you have any other suggestions? My price range does not go any further as like option 2 (in the netherlands it costs like 3200 euros).

With regards,

Tim

Not sure which lens would be best for you, however what are you going to do with your Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM?

I will probably sell the 70-300, as the new lenses will outperform that lens.But I'm wondering if it is safe to buy sigma, because I read a lot of things about sigma lottery, but most of those problems were on older models...Because I think the sigma options are better for in my price range because it's all f2.8!

japie10 said:
I will probably sell the 70-300, as the new lenses will outperform that lens.But I'm wondering if it is safe to buy sigma, because I read a lot of things about sigma lottery, but most of those problems were on older models...Because I think the sigma options are better for in my price range because it's all f2.8!

Let me know when you decide to sell as I could be interested.
I'm still to new to the photography world to really know if the sigma would be good. From what I have heard though, they are a decent lens.

I will, but I won't think it will cheap for you as I live in the netherlands and shipping it to Canada will cost probably alot.

Most reviews are positive about the sigma's and say the Professional L lenses of canon are just a little better especially in IQ.
But I read also alot of reviews of Sigma lottery and focusing problems?!
What I like to know, is it worth the bet of taking a sigma and hope for a good copy or is this only something for older models or something like that?!

Tim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back