Republican National Convention 2008 St. Paul, MN ***18 photos***

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I haven't posted for a while, just been so busy. I had wanted to get down to the RNC to do some people watching and get some shots of the protests and all that seeing as I live just over a mile from all the action, but my schedule has just been so hectic that I almost didn't make it at all but finally told the wife that I've gotta get down there, so I went on the last night around 9:30 right as McCain's speech was wrapping up.

I know politics aren't allowed so I will try to keep this as apolitical as possible, although some of the shots may have some political references just as descriptions and photojournalistic purposes.

I know these shots aren't spectacular, being as I don't really have the proper gear for this type of shooting, but I still thought people would be interested in getting somewhat of an idea as to the goings on down in my little corner of the world. Not looking for a critique, but feel free to comment.

Right when I got downtown I figured I would park my car in the first spot I found which happened to be about 8 blocks away from where the RNC was taking place. Right away I saw cops everywhere, posted on almost every block on my way there.

It was actually quite tame, I was surprised to see. I thought there would be more protesters but there were just a few intermingled with the crowd. I guess I missed most of the festivities earlier that day and week.

1. This first shot is the Landmark Center, an old building in downtown St. Paul, right by Rice Park where MSNBC was set up, near the Excel Energy Center where the convention was. I think there was a big Republican bash there after the convention. This was about as close as you could get to the actual convention as they had erected metal fences all around the perimeter, about a block away.
CRW_8194_RJ.jpg

2. random cops, looking like they've had a long night:
CRW_8195_RJ.jpg

3. Random crowd shot at park:
CRW_8200_RJ.jpg

4. Police presence across from park:
CRW_8204_RJ.jpg

5.police in riot gear marching to park for show of force
CRW_8205_RJ.jpg

6. One of the minor little tiffs I encountered:
CRW_8209_RJ.jpg

7. Another show of force:
CRW_8211_RJ.jpg

CRW_8212_RJ.jpg

9. random demonstrator:
CRW_8213_RJ.jpg

10. Protesters:
CRW_8215_RJ.jpg

11. Can you find Chris Matthews?
CRW_8221_RJ.jpg

12: Repubs coming out of convention:
CRW_8231_RJ.jpg

13: Random convention goers:
CRW_8232_RJ.jpg

14: Protestor heckling the Repubs as they walked out of the convention center, calling them necrophiliacs.
IMG_8226.jpg

15: This guy wasn't too keen on the necrophiliacs comments:
IMG_8224.jpg

16: I thought they might go at it, the guy in the red white and blue shirt was making threatining comments but the heckler wasn't backing down:
IMG_8225.jpg

17: Randoms
IMG_8229.jpg

18: How could I pass this guy up?
IMG_8230.jpg

Nice colours in these pics, cool how it is all lit up, like Christmas!

The police look like they mean business, reminds me of the Labour Day demonstrations we have here in Sweden on the 1st May, the police are out in force then as well, both on the ground and on horseback

Nice job editing out the human sacrifice.

The explanation would be impermissibly political, per forum rules.

The explanation would be impermissibly political, per forum rules.

Ok, well, I didn't edit out anything. These shots are pretty much straight out of camera, and what I captured was a pretty good representation of what happened that night. There was not much action when I was there as compared to what went on the rest of the week prior.

Feel free to PM me if you get an itch to explain your comment because I really have no idea what you meant, although I am curious.

Nice shots, of course I had to move that weekend which pretty much tied me up from going down there and getting some shots. I love the cop with "P203" on his helmet... he's got his hand in his belt...

In a side note I feel bad for all the cops who had to deal with all this plus the "business as usual" trouble that the deal with.

Anyway, great work all around.

thanks for the comments guys.

haha @
I love the cop with "P203" on his helmet... he's got his hand in his belt...

...I just noticed something...check out the last cop on the right-hand side on shot #8...is that P203's twin brother????

great photos ,
those police guys looks like baseball players haha

Good work Marcus, sometimes the best shots that tell the story are taken outside of a political conference rather then inside. You seem to have done the right thing and shot both sides, for and against McCain rather then taking sides. That's the work of a true journalist. You dont take sides, you just tell the story.....

Marcus, I must say that your photos speak more than the TV docus we get shown on our TV news or programmes on "What happens abroad?" (longer reports than there's time for in the regular news programmes). Well done. When they mentioned "St. Paul" as the venue for the convention, I somehow knew that I "know" someone there, but at the time it didn't occur to me that it is you who I "know" (kind of).

Nice shots. As for picture #8, whats with the uniforms? They look like Spaceballs.

:thumbsup:

great photos ,
those police guys looks like baseball players haha

yea, I see what you're saying. Thanks for the comment.

Good work Marcus, sometimes the best shots that tell the story are taken outside of a political conference rather then inside. You seem to have done the right thing and shot both sides, for and against McCain rather then taking sides. That's the work of a true journalist. You dont take sides, you just tell the story.....

Thank you for the nice comments. Yes, I would much rather have taken shots outside the convention than inside. I did try to capture an accurate representation of what took place there.

Marcus, I must say that your photos speak more than the TV docus we get shown on our TV news or programmes on "What happens abroad?" (longer reports than there's time for in the regular news programmes). Well done. When they mentioned "St. Paul" as the venue for the convention, I somehow knew that I "know" someone there, but at the time it didn't occur to me that it is you who I "know" (kind of).

hehe...thanks Lafoto. Yea, amazing how small the world is now, isn't it?

Nice shots. As for picture #8, whats with the uniforms? They look like Spaceballs.

:thumbsup:

That's hilarious, they do don't they?

ah nice. I was expecting more pics from the RNC. I was there too btw, we could have had a mini-TPF meet up...;-)

pascal

Most reactions

Back