Request: Just a quick evaluation

look

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Usually I do not posed potraits but anything happens :) Does this one in general look OK/good/etc?

Thank you for feedback :)

And yes, as they say, you can be bruatally honest :)

3710250-lg.jpg

i don't really haveany negative feeling over the photo, i really like it, especially the lighting, the only thing i would say is that the baby is a bit too hidden away.

I agree, I really like the lighting but a little fill is needed on their faces. If you have one, grab a stool for posing when there is a height difference like that. That way, Dad can sit with the baby and Mom stand behind them. It makes them closer in the photo and I think would look better in this situation.

That being said, I am sure they will love this shot.

Thank you for your remarks :) A good tip witht the stool - I rememebered it for the future :)

The fill is tricky for me - I really like the colour of faces (ambient + golden reflected light) and the red channel is already at the edge of significant clipping - and then it starts loosing the colour if I brighten it more.

You can use the lasso tool to select the baby's face and then use curves to just lighten that bit. Leaves the rest of the lighting the same but gives more detail in his face.

Ahhh, that's what you are referring to! :) OK, baby's face is no problem - it is darker and there should be no clipping. Thank you for spotting it :)

I quite like the way the baby is hidden away - makes the dad seem so protective, it's sweet :lovey:

Thank you for your remark - I did not think about this aspect :)

I think it's a nice family portrait. I agree that the baby's face is just a little too dark, also maybe the mother's just a tad. Just a little brighter would give it some pop...and attract a bit more attention to their faces.

Also, we can see a hand (mother's) pinching her dress. Probably better if we can't see that...or if her hand is in a more natural position...but that's just a little nit pick.

Thank you :)

Yes, the hand is among the weak points here - so I would prefer to make a square crop :) I have a landscape as well but way too little time too much work to show it now.

I appreciate your comments - thank you all :)

I always go for the triangle rule when doing groups as linear is very boring.. just a general rule though. I try have each of the subjects heads positioned at different heights forming a rough triangle all three.

Your general mood of the photograph seems to be that of contrast - the mother who wants the photo to be taken (to show off if you will) and the father who doesn't (very protective and hiding the child)... .

All in all though a nice picture with great lighting

Most reactions

New Topics

Back