[Request]RAW pictures for research purposes

Khavish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am trying to create a modern dataset to be used for evaluating and improving image codecs.For this purpose i would need pictures that have the following properties:

1.Images need to have been shot in RAW format

JPEG is a lossy format as if we used it, then we inherently introduce bias in the dataset as each camera has its own customized JPEG engine. The key here is that at any point of the process a lossy file format should NOT be used.

Since its your own photo you are the best judge on how the image should look in terms of white balance , brightness , amount of cropping , aspect ratio etc...

2. Copyright free

The images will be used for research purposes so that is very important. A creative commons license or MIT License should do.

3.Create previews in PNG

Generate PNG files from your raw files in standard image dimensions with different light balances while taking care of the aspect ratio.These will be the source of truth while doing experiments.
I found this resource do be pretty useful
A Guide to Common Aspect Ratios, Image Sizes, and Photograph Sizes

4. Exif data kept in all images

5. Types of images

Portrait , Landscape , anything will do.Diversity is key here

Thanks you for reading this far and let me know if you have any questions

Good luck

For this purpose i would need pictures that have the following properties:
Greetings!

You should be able to get those images yourself.

I doubt a photographer would be willing to provide original Raw images to an unknown person on a message board. (At least I wouldn't.) Or to provide those as copyright free.

As already mentioned, you'll probably need to take the photos yourself. Or you could try a stock website like the one you linked, although I don't know if there are Raw images available on those type sites and the photos may be of amateur quality (because those sites only seem to pay in cents per use so they're hardly worth a photographer's time and effort anymore).

If you want professional quality work, expect to hire and contract with a professional photographer and license usage of the photos at an appropriate commercial rate.

You’ll probably do better if you explain a bit more on what you’re doing with the photos and with the dataset. People don’t freely give this information up, as you’ve seen with the responses thus far. Lol

I second waday. If you give me more info what exactly you are trying to do and how that would benefit the community of photographers, I might be willing to give away some files.
I think we should get over the mindset of keeping everything to yourself unless you yourself profit. Sharing and giving is a great thing, but I don't want to donate images that end up being used for making profit for single people on my behalf.

I second waday. If you give me more info what exactly you are trying to do and how that would benefit the community of photographers, I might be willing to give away some files.
I think we should get over the mindset of keeping everything to yourself unless you yourself profit. Sharing and giving is a great thing, but I don't want to donate images that end up being used for making profit for single people on my behalf.
You’ll probably do better if you explain a bit more on what you’re doing with the photos and with the dataset. People don’t freely give this information up, as you’ve seen with the responses thus far. Lol

Thank you for your interest guys :)

I will take those pictures and run them through multiple image codecs at different settings to see how the quality changes and the various compression artifacts.The aim here is to get minimal filesize with a psychovisually lossless image.Initially i tried it with source images from current datasets( excluding those old ones since cameras have evolved since then).The issue is that current dataset all contain JPEG images which leads to bias result. In the long run this will lead to images with a smaller filesize for the web with similar or even better quality.Camera image processing could also improve once the codec becomes fast enough.

I plan to redo my study with raw images and opensource the dataset and ofcourse giving credits to the authors.

You can read more about my study on encode.ru

There are professional donated raw images used by the open source image processing software.
However it is usually Creative Commons Locense.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

There are professional donated raw images used by the open source image processing software.

Tim

Creative commons is fine , can you share the links to the raw images

What is the project you are working on?

Does it have a commercial end goal i.e. a new format or software you wish to sell?

Are you going to give away the final product of this project free?

These I would need in writing to even consider because if the end goal is to sell something then you can have any image you want at $1000 use per licence.

Random person on the internet is never going to win this crowd over as you can see from above.

Come back with a clear plan as to what you are doing and where you are going with this (with some form of proof) and you may get more traction.

Good luck.

Tim

Creative commons is fine , can you share the links to the raw images
No clue, I no longer track that stuff. I briefly used multiple ooensouce editors. Now I only monitor one, darktable, and it abstracts all that stuff away. (Google/Bing is your friend)

Tim

Most reactions

Back