Research :/

divinewind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I don't really know where to post this, nor do I know if anyone will bother contributing to what I'm looking for :)

I'm starting a research paper on a photographer working in commercial - mainly products / food and still adverts as supposed to fashion.
I am REALLY struggling with finding a well-known photographer who has actually had books, articles and other items written about them instead of just thousands of no-names with a snazzy looking website. Google is trawled with photographers trying to advertise themselves so there is no real info on there to literary links.

I have been looking at David Stewart, John G. Zimmerman, William Claxton, Peter Dazeley, Jerry Avenaim, alas with Edgar de Evia being the only photographer that I can find mentions in books and articles and substantial references.

I'm really at my wits end, I was hoping someone with a brain bursting full of knowledge might offer up any other suggestions?

Regards

Richard

:lol:

I think you just insulted 65% of the people on this forum.

Anyway... networking is always the key. Work through your friends and personal connections to try to track down the people on your list.

You MIGHT get lucky and one of the no-names on here with snazzy looking websites might know one of them. :)

Haha I had no intention of that! Well to be honest I'm not really looking to contact one, just a suggestion to a famous photographer who has enough 'meat on the bones' so to speak to write an entire paper. It's a hard one man, and its really getting me down.

I did, however the majority of those aren't really advertising photographers :/

Did you try googling "famous photographers in advertising" or something similar?

The only photographers that are going to have much written about them are going to be ones that are both known in the art world, as well as the commercial world.

Cindy Sherman is probably your best bet. Maybe Annie Liebowitz if you include celebrity portraiture.

Look for images you've seen before in this list:

http://www.designfloat.com/blog/2011/03/09/top-fashion-photographers-all-times/

chances are if you've seen the image but are not familiar with the photographer, a lot has been written about them.

---

What would you write about a famous commercial photographer? If their work was compelling enough to be written about, they'd be fine art photographers.

Last edited:
What would you write about a famous commercial photographer? If their work was compelling enough to be written about, they'd be fine art photographers.

Exactly. This is the biggest issue. Noone is really interested in who takes product photographs but more about the celebrity wearing said product. This paper is a stupid assignment, but its gotta be done

Take a look at the link I added. There is room for crossover, it's just the loudest mouths on the internet (coughAriascough) aren't them.

If I were you, I'd focus on why these select few have received artistic recognition, while the vast majority are just "fancy snappers".

If this is a college level paper, it's better to write a good paper than the mediocre paper which the professor is expecting. It's ok, if not best, to deviate a little.

Most reactions

Back