Reshoot from last night ;)

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know a few of you were "looking forward" to the reshoot and seeing if I took your advice ;)

The only real solid advice was to make the background seamless, and to put a light in front of the phone to light it up a bit more... So, here's my attempt... I feel like I failed in some ways, but let's see what you have to say.

I used custom WB and spot metering with the "spot" at the bottom of the phone to make sure the phone was properly exposed... There is no PP done (I was going to crop, but forgot...)

I feel like these 3 are the best out of the bunch shot with 2 lights... I think I shot it like 6 times with 2 lights... Then I did a few shots with just one light...

1. 2 lights
017-1.jpg

2. 2 lights
018-1.jpg

3. 2 lights
020-1.jpg

Oh, and don't ask about the out of focus at the top of the phone :( I didn't notice that until after they were on the computer...

Still a bit dull and centered, try some more interesting angles

hmm.. k... first tip - angle and uncenter ;) got it :) lol

Jeez, I'm going to be shooting this phone for a week!! lol

Get your camera perpendicular to your subject (in this case), focus is off on all of these. If your tripod is bad, try bean/sand bags. Have you tried focusing with "Live View". I used to think it was pointless, and now I love it.

While I see you struggle with light, focus is just as important.

Also, for product photography, you don't want that line of your background meeting the floor to be apparent.

The first two look a little under-exposed, but the last looks most correct.

:gun:

I think she is working out how to meter/light/properly expose a subject. No need to throw composition and "interesting angles" into the mix yet. When she finally has her "Ah Hah"!" moment, you can throw that wrench into her machine. :lol:

SCORE!!!

:)

Yes, I read your entire comment, but this little guy made me LOL! :)

I actually do most focusing with live view because I wear glasses and they get in the way of the view finder...

So, tips so far...

1. Different angles (but perpendicular)
2. Uncenter
3. FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS!
4. Get rid of the line! No crack allowed! :)

Did I cover everything?

I think she is working out how to meter/light/properly expose a subject. No need to throw composition and "interesting angles" into the mix yet. When she finally has her "Ah Hah"!" moment, you can throw that wrench into her machine. :lol:

lol

I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have that "ah, hah!" moment! lol

Forget 1 and 2 right now.

Nail 3 and 4. Get consistant results with lighting, focus, and backgrounds, then, by all means, step up to the next level.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have that "ah, hah!" moment! lol

You will. Someday...*sigh*

so...

light it up, focus, get rid of the line :)

got it :)

Really, I think you did great. That's not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but I'd be happy with these results. You can easily clean up the picture with some simple post processing and you have a very usable image.

Case in point:
phone1.jpg

Some of you less newbie-ish guys may disagree with me... And you're probably right.

But if you can adjust that exposure in post, you should be able to get it in camera. No?

Would it help if she moved the phone further towards the back of the light box?

Would it help if she moved the phone further towards the back of the light box?

Not using a real light box. Just two pieces of white foam core posterboard and a white fabric shower curtain liner ;) and two clamp lights with cfl bulbs :)

But if you can adjust that exposure in post, you should be able to get it in camera. No?

I agree. It's just easier to cheat with photoshop.

I've actually tried to photograph simple objects since getting my T2i and it's a lot harder than I anticipated. Keep it up OP, this is good practice I think.

Most reactions

Back