The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I must admit that I hadn't realized the amount of discomfort, I would feel being the sole judge.
That being said, I want to point out that I 'know' nothing about the academic points about art, art history or even too much about photographers.
My response is only my reactions to the pictures and where I see weaknesses that make the photos less impactful to me, specifically.

In the order they were posted:

image-jpg.107069

Sashbar knows what he's doing and so the picture is the way he wanted it. So there is no 'technical' criticism, things are done right.
I see the statue on one side and people, perhaps on the top of a pavillion or sight-seeing bus, on the other side.
But, I don't get the point - even with the title.
I don't know what is being shown and why.
I am perfectly willing to admit that I may be at fault or unsubtle - but that's the way it is.

in-the-heart-of-starrs-mill-jpg.107129

A semi-landscape by PropilotBW taken at Starr's Mill in Georgia.
This is an ingenious shot and propilot did a good job of finding something interesting and unique about a topic that has been shot multiple thousands of times.
I think a little less bright and saturation on the trees in the background would benefit and especially toning down the barn so the texture of the boards is more obvious. That would soften the entire impact and ket the viewers' eyes go to the heart. (Even a purposeful softening might work well)

This is a technical shot By that I mean that the photographer is trying to show the unusual symmetry of the chamber and the impact (to me) depends on the actual image being captured in a way as much as possible reflecting what the photographer saw.
The exposure, depth of field and sharpness is all good. (I am a bit ambivalent about the color.)
Unfortunately there is a lapse in the framing that hurts this picture. The midline is off, the sides are asymmetric and the chair back is off center on the window and runs into the lower edge of the window frame.
I think the idea is good and surely deserves another try.

comp-looking-down-not-edited.jpg

This photo by scooter is about someone with mental illness. The problem with this photo - for me - is that most of the information about the photo is contained in the text - and the photo itself doesn't give me much or any clues.
Sharpness is good; framing, being purposefully off center, actually gives a hint that this is not a traditional portrait.
So much of the meaning of any photo is carried, not just by the actual content, but by the treatment. This image is much too heavy in the grey tones and the contrast is so low that I can actually not see important detail. Most important I can't separate the message from what may be not-the-best processing.
If the contrast is enhanced and the image sharpened a bit, particularly adding a bit of the micro-contrast (called clarity in LR or PS) a lot changes.
The sharpness is more obvious, the hooded eyes looking down contrast with the skin, I can see multiple piercings and what might be tears.
I can see more and now could conjure up a story about this young woman. The processing does not hide things from me and the text is useful but not necessary to the strength of the shot.

comp-5-look-edit.jpg

roxy-screen-tpf-portrait-jpg.108975

A damn cute picture of a dog - and because there is text I know the dog was inside a door and looking through the screen.
What this picture is missing is a little bit of the wooden (or metal) frame so that would set the scene - 'A little doggie stuck inside'. and all the pathos and sweetness that suggests.
As it is, without the text it could be an added -on texture and there may not be any story at all.
Yes, it might have been nice if the focus was on the dog and not the screen so much but....
If you have a frame, I'd put it in.

I left this shot (by Wyogirl) purposefully for the end because I was so struck by it.
The technical issues are irrelevant (except that f 22 made this possible) but the composition and framing are just wonderful.
I'm not certain what it is - and I really don't care. The balance is wonderful, it has mood and mystery and, I can make guesses about what I am seeing, but can't confirm the guesses and really don't want to know.
This is just terrific and my choice as winner.

Last edited:
I'm impressed and really like how you ran the competition, particularly in the way you commented on each photo and chose the winner.

Kudos! Bravo!

Oh; and I really wish there were more entries so that I could read more of your critique on them.

Ah Traveler! First off, thank you for the critique of both of my photos! I appreciate in depth critique and I respect your opinion. I am honored to be the winner in this contest. Thank you!!
On a side note... I believe I'll be getting this one printed on metal. I was just sitting around when I noticed how the light was shaped and I had to photograph it... the only thing I had at hand was my phone, but I figured a phone shot was better than no shot and I (not to pat my own back) was pretty pleased with the outcome.

That's one heck of a good photo Amanda. I like the use of shape and texture, well done. Definitely, print it!

I noticed how the mill is framed in almost a heart shape of foliage. I like the color and the feeling of peeking at the mill from that vantage point. I think with some adjustment for less contrast between the darker foreground and brighter background, that would be nice printed too.

Might be a sellable photo. Maybe yours would be too, Amanda. Not that I find it easy to gauge but they strike me that way, maybe seem like the type of thing I've seen being sold at art shows, etc.

Lew you gave some thoughtful critique that gives some worthwhile information. Wade I remember the dog, I think that's yours; what I like is there's almost a glow to the dog with him/her being back in the shadows. I didn't realize it was a screen and thought it was a texture too, but you might be able to see what you could do with it. (I wonder how it would look on textured paper but not sure if that would work or not, maybe too much of a good thing.)

First congrats (and WOW!) for doing your own contest. *

Second a great write up on each photo depicting what you saw as each person has their own unique perspective on any given subject.

*This comment in no way implies or contractually binds the poster to any future photo contest hosting or even that the poster has a clue about photography.

Congrats wyogirl on your win! I must say I am still curious to know what it is, lol. Thanks for the all the detailed critiques Traveler. I knew not editing mine more was a risk but made the decision and stuck to it. Your advice is always helpful. I wish more people would have entered so we could have seen even more beautiful photos. Hopefully someone will do this again soon.

So as not to spoil it for those who prefer to keep guessing.... You can message me to learn the truth. :1219:

Congratulations, Amanda.

Very nicely done, thanks for the critiques below the pictures. They are helpful tips for future pictures.

Excellent contest, Lew. Good critiques, and interesting images. Amanda, congratulations - it's a good shot, being about light and shadow, about shape and flatness. Very nice balance. I agree with Lew's critique and his awarding you the win.

Now let's do this again.

Most reactions

Back