Resting Marble C&C

bazooka

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.dirtjournal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
On the drive home with my wife around sunset tonight, I noticed the moon was also rising in the east and appeared quite large. When we got home, I went into the back yard and was looking for the moon to see what it would look like at 200mm cropped. When I saw it, I got the idea for this shot and that it would be neat. I was suprised that it actually came out as I wanted it to.

I wanted to make it appear that it rolled down the edge of the roof and was resting between two rooves, like a marble would do. I tried to get the edges sharp so I set the aperture to f/14. I guess it wasn't quite enough because they are still blurry. I also learned to use mirror lockup after the fact because I got some vertical motion on the moon when viewed in full size.

Do you find this image interesting? Technically, how could I improve it? If I get some ideas, I can reshoot it tomorrow night. Thanks!

f/14
1/8
ISO-100
260mm (163mm cropped)

restingmoon.jpg

The moon looks beautiful!!

I think a different crop may work better though?? Maybe a bit tighter? The radon pipe? and other thing (sorry, I know nothing about home construction..lol) are a bit distracting.

I was thinking that without the vertical structure, the shot might be a little too simple. I like the different geometric shapes. I was considering taking all the detail out of the roof so it's less identifiable as a roof (no shingle detail, etc... ). I'm interested to see if everyone else agrees with you on the vents.

I love the concept, but I don't like the vents either. Other than that it's cool:)
The trim on the bottom right is a bit distracting as well.

The moon looks beautiful!!

I think a different crop may work better though?? Maybe a bit tighter? The radon pipe? and other thing (sorry, I know nothing about home construction..lol) are a bit distracting.

i think the pips add a sense of scale almost, i think it would be kinda boreing without them

Nice idea. I'd crop it a little tighter and get rid of a lot of the excess stuff. Maybe try B&W with a bit of extra contrast.

Is this better or worse? To me, it doesn't really communicate the affect that I'm going for... it just looks like a moon coming up over the roof. Perhaps this is due to the blurred edges?

restingmoon2.jpg

Most reactions

Back