Restoring infinity focus for a minolta lens attached to a nikon body.

Marksmankruisboog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon camera (d7000) and an Minolta RF ROKKOR 250mm 1:5.6 mirror lens. I wanted to put it on the Nikon body so I've bought this ring:
Though i've lost a quite deal of focus--> It won't focus on anything more then about 7 metres away.

How can I resolve this and regain my focus? I'd prefer not to buy a new ring or attach optics on the lens itself (I would think that putting a positive lens on the end would help, or having such a lens in the adapter) .

Would anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks for answering,

Mark

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yep. You need an adapter ring that has a glass lens element in it that accounts for the different flange focal distance between Minolta cameras and Nikon cameras.
Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That glass lens element in the adapter will come at some cost to the Minolta lens performance (sharpness).

But my mirror-lens focusus by changing the distance between the two mirrors (by a few mm).

As for example if I put the focus on infinity (according to the scale) I can focus at 5 metres. The difference between infinity on the scale and 5 metres results in a difference of let's say 1 mm, would it be enough to put the two mirrors 1mm closer? Since it doesn't have complex groups of lenses it should be as simple as that... right?

HERE is one of the better adapters for Minolta manual focus lens to Nikon F mount body lens adapters, with the 1.4x corrective glass element, which will give infinity focus. This is marketed by a USA company, Fotodiox, that specializes in lens adapters and lens accessories. It costs $40 US dollars; there are cheaper adapters available, but I am suspicious of those.

FotodioX Adapter for Minolta MD-Mount Lens to Nikon MD-NK-G B&H

I own some Fotodiox stuff; it is a grade or two above the CHEAP, no-name Chinese stuff.

Derrel, It won't cost me 40 dollar, rather like 130 dollars. (exact: $134.62) Because it needs to be shipped to the Netherlands first...
But isn't it possible to adjust my minolta-lens?

I would look for a similar adapter from an e-Bay vendor. I do not think you can adjust the lens. The flange/focal plane distance for Nikon is 46.00mm, for Minolta SR is 43.50mm...not gonna be practical. The BEST solution would be to get a Canon EF mount camera body and a cheap 10-Euro adapter with no glass.

But the difference is only a few mm, so that should be doable, since it only uses two mirrors... right?

I would look for a similar adapter from an e-Bay vendor. I do not think you can adjust the lens. The flange/focal plane distance for Nikon is 46.00mm, for Minolta SR is 43.50mm...not gonna be practical. The BEST solution would be to get a Canon EF mount camera body and a cheap 10-Euro adapter with no glass.

I'm reawakening a dead thread here, but I just landed some old minolta lenses, and wanted to see if it would be worth it to adapt them to my D7100. Further thoughts on this?

I'm reawakening a dead thread here, but I just landed some old minolta lenses, and wanted to see if it would be worth it to adapt them to my D7100. Further thoughts on this?

The Fotodiox ADAPTER is still $40 for MD lens to Nikon body...I would suggest adapting the lenses to a Sony NEX-3 (or NEX-5, whatever) as an economical body that would work okay and be affordable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back