What's new

Resurgam. Critique welcom

Joined
May 11, 2014
Messages
401
Reaction score
194
Location
Southern California
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have not been to the Mission San Juan Capistrano since I was a little child. I live less than a mile away and I am not sure why I have not stopped and checked it out in the past 30 years? I like the saying if your religious or not. Resurgam is Latin for I shall rise again.

Thanks for looking.

1-

$Mission #1 (1 of 1).webp

2-

$Mission (1 of 1).webp

3-

$Mission #2 (1 of 1).webp

4-

$Mission #3 (1 of 1).webp
 
Number 1 is nice but I really like number 4.

Thanks :)
 
Thanks Redtech & Virgil. I have always been fond of lines like #4. The Pillars, the beams, the tiles and the got lucky with the light. Thanks again for looking and posting.
 
I think there are a lot of issues with #1.

First it is cropped to an aspect ratio that is skinnier than 2:3; I tend to crop to standard sizes so that people ignore the 'strange' window though which they are seeing the picture.

It is unclear what you want us to look at, the inside or the wall.
This is an arch framing an exterior scene but the focus is actually on the wall, which is nicely sharp, but is really bright and draws my eye.
The exterior scene has really nothing of interest except an off-center tree and certainly nothing related to the inscription and the crucifix.
Further the lighting in the exterior scene is harsh and the details are oof but so sharpened that they look 'crunchy.'

6ox4.jpg
 
I think there are a lot of issues with #1.

First it is cropped to an aspect ratio that is skinnier than 2:3; I tend to crop to standard sizes so that people ignore the 'strange' window though which they are seeing the picture.

It is unclear what you want us to look at, the inside or the wall.
This is an arch framing an exterior scene but the focus is actually on the wall, which is nicely sharp, but is really bright and draws my eye.
The exterior scene has really nothing of interest except an off-center tree and certainly nothing related to the inscription and the crucifix.
Further the lighting in the exterior scene is harsh and the details are oof but so sharpened that they look 'crunchy.'

6ox4.jpg

Yes I wanted the focus on the door way and before my PP the scene through the doorway was blown out and way to bright but I guess I may have over processed that part. Very new to photography so not sure what is meant by the aspect ratio being skinnier than 2:3 but I can guess it means the height vs width?

Ok just read about aspect ratio and I cropped that way because of the white patch on the wall that I didn't like but I guess it also effects printing as well. Didn't know al that so thanks for forcing me to research it.


Thanks for the critique The_Traveler.

How's this?

$Mission #4 (1 of 1).webp
 
Mike,

I appreciate the way you responded; that's not always what happens.
Forget the issue of what the cross and the inscription might mean to you personally and look at it as a composition.
The problem here is, imo, that there isn't really a good picture here. That arch frames a scene that isn't really congruent with the doorway and the doorway itself just isn't interesting enough.
Anything interesting is at the top and the rest is just 'stuff'

Lew
 
What a fun place. I think your biggest enemy was the time of day. I think the golden hour would really make that place come alive.
 
I can see your point but I do like the entire door way but yes what is through it just shows plants and part of a tree. The other angle showed a wedding being set up but maybe next time I can get the top of the church in there. I'll have to see if it is visible. I don't mind criticism if it teaches me something and doesn't appear to me to be personal. It's all opinion when it comes to composition so I take it with a grain of salt. Thanks again for posting.
 
What a fun place. I think your biggest enemy was the time of day. I think the golden hour would really make that place come alive.

Yeah I wanted to do a night shot as well with a star trails but unfortunately they close at 5pm. I can try after daylight savings or attend a night event and just take pictures. Thanks for posting and looking. I used a circular polarizer to try and cut the bright mid-day light but maybe I didn't use it correctly.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom