What's new

Retrieving photos help needed

VigilanteFoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 19, 2014
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did a stupid thing, i know, and I keep beating myself up…. So maybe you can help me identify the software or company that can help. I took a new Sony A7 on a trip of a lifetime. When i got home, i transferred files from the two SDcards to one file directory. Thinking they all transferred, i reformatted the SDs….a week later, i went to look for some photos that I know I took, and they are not there. I know there are missing pictures as i used my cellphone to take a picture of the camera screen of one particular shot, which is not in the directory. After some head scratching, i realized that the new camera used the same file names on each card… so the 2nd card files probably overwrote the 1st card files when copied to the same directory. I think on my old A7 i had changed the setting so that wouldn't happen, but didn't realize i had not on the new…..

i have tried to restore the files using 2 different commercially available software packages (DiskDrill and Recoverit)…nothing. Anyone know of a company that might have more sophisticated software? Thanks.
 
I've used this with no issues:
 
As long as you have only reformatted the cards haven't over-written the files with more stuff then there is a good chance you can recover the images. Reformatting often only clears the index. The image data is still there but as the index is erased the information that tells the image reader where to look for the files isn't there so the image reader can't find them.
I believe there are some dedicated photo recovery products but finding one that works can be expensive.
Try lots of free trials and if one seems to work then maybe buy the program to get all the tools.
Another option is to use a professional data recovery service. But finding a good one is time consuming and not cheap.
If you have over-written the data then you might have to just accept that the data is gone. There is software that can 'mine' overwritten data - Law Enforcement Agencies use it all the time but again finding someone who can do it...

Good luck!
 
What brand SD cards.... I use Lexar they have a recovery tool on their website that works great . Downloads | Lexar If it's another brand, check their website, they may have a recovery option
 
As Hertz said, if you haven’t used the card yet you have a good shot at recovering files.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom