Returning my new Sigma 150mm 2.8 Macro....

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Returning my new Sigma 150mm 2.8 Macro....

It was backfocusing about 2" in Autofocus.... no big deal, I usually just dial in some AF correction. But the lens would not respond to any corrections I put in. -20 and +20 looked exactly the same. Sigma support said it sounds like a bad relay or something. So I returned the lens.

Think I might just wait and see if Nikon updates the 200 macro...

Gah I nearly chocked on my doritos - why not get it fixed up first? It's a great lens and a little fix and it will keep being great - or you could even consider upgrading to the newer OS edition :)

Get the OS version! If you're going to get the 200 Nikkor upgrade, for $2k+, you could definitely go for the Sigma 150/2.8OS. It's a fantastic lens.

I'm a major supporter of Sigma, especially their macro line, just like Overread. They really are spectacular. :mrgreen:

Mark

Markw said:
I'm a major supporter of Sigma, especially their macro line, just like Overread. They really are spectacular. :mrgreen:

When they work right, and actually interface properly with the brand of camera mount and focusing and metering systems they are alleged to work with...

I meant their Macro lens series are spectacular. No necessarily the entire company. But you're right, the 96% of time everything works properly, most of their upper-level lenses are spectacular.

Mark

My Sigma luck has been about 50/50.. I have had great copies while others were unusable and had to be returned. Front and back focus issues are not uncommon with them

Lemme see....my Sigma 180mm f/3.5 EX HSM APO macro in Nikon mount....likes to go on ridiculous AF hunts, back-focusing for no apparent reason....mostly in bright sunshine...

My Sigma 18-125 DC in Canon EF mount is called "Der Flaremeister" by me for its spectacular green flare whenever shot toward the light...and I love the way the zoom flops out to 125mm whenever the lens is pointed more than 2 degrees below the horizontal....always handy...

My Sigma 100-300 EX HSM in Nikon mount has a decentered element so one side's a bit softer than the other, and can't focus well enough to be relied up for track and field in broad daylight...

but other than that....well...the 180 and the 100-300 EX models are "high-end" Sigma models...and both have very serious issues...

Wow. You've had it bad. :lol:

So far, I've owned the Sigma: 50/2.8 Macro, 105/2.8 Macro, 180/3.5 Macro, 18-50/2.8 EX DC D (non-HSM, non-Macro), and 400/5.6 APO (non-Macro).

Besides the 400/5.6 having haze/fungus in the lens when I got it (ebay special! I only paid $100ish for it, what does that tell you? lol), I haven't had issues with any of them really. I get hunting with the 180/3.5 on occasion, but I shoot i in less-than-ideal conditions. I got more with the 105/2.8. The 18-50 has a pretty nasty flare problem, but that's not really surprising to me. I get similar results with the 35/1.8 Nikkor. I also have much worse backfocusing with my 80-200/2.8 Nikkor than any lens I've ever used. And that's a damn good lens.

Mark

I have the Sigma 150 2.8, and from everything I have read, this lens does not suffer from the same variation as many of the Sigma's do. Mine is spectacular. One of my favorite lenses.

Sorry you got a lemon, but that happens with every manufacturer.

Gah I nearly chocked on my doritos - why not get it fixed up first? It's a great lens and a little fix and it will keep being great - or you could even consider upgrading to the newer OS edition :)

This was the new OS version.. Sigma support said it could be repaired under warranty... but I returned it. It was buggy...

Get the OS version! If you're going to get the 200 Nikkor upgrade, for $2k+, you could definitely go for the Sigma 150/2.8OS. It's a fantastic lens.

Mark

I like Sigma also.. and this was the latest OS version. I loved it as far as using it in manual mode... but the AF was screwy as hell. I was unable to correct for it with the AF fine tuning on my body, and Sigma support said it was probably a hardware failure. So I returned it.... I might pick up another one... who knows? :)

I have the Sigma 150 2.8, and from everything I have read, this lens does not suffer from the same variation as many of the Sigma's do. Mine is spectacular. One of my favorite lenses.

Sorry you got a lemon, but that happens with every manufacturer.

Yea.. it happens.. and I am not holding it against Sigma! I still have a 50mm 1.4, and love it.... sweet lens. But this 150 was buggy. I was wanting it for portrait work also.. as I have heard it really does well at that. but 2" of backfocus is hard to deal with.. and since it wouldn't allow AF fine tuning.. I don't want to mess with it. Still within the allowed return period at the retailer I purchased from.. and they mentioned they have had several come back.

This was the new OS version.. Sigma support said it could be repaired under warranty... but I returned it. It was buggy...

It's a macro lens - its supposed to be buggy ;)

That said I'd have just had it fixed under warranty :)
And if its within the return period you could have just had it exchanged for a new copy

It's a macro lens - its supposed to be buggy ;)

That said I'd have just had it fixed under warranty :)
And if its within the return period you could have just had it exchanged for a new copy

Yes.. and I might go that way yet (getting another one)...The Sigma has wonderful IQ.. and if it hadn't had problems, it would stay in my bag.

But I really do have my heart set on the Nikkor 200!

My best, favorite lens is my Nikkor 70-200... it is always fast, sharp and focuses like no other lens I have ever had (remember the flying dragonflies? lol!) I just really feel like the Nikkor might be the way to go... I have always wanted one. If they bring out a new version of it, I will jump on it. In the meantime, I will use my trusty Tokina 100! :) (am I turning into a Nikon Snob? hmmmm! lol!)

Well macro lenses tend to always be slower in the AF department - heck I know my 70-200mm blows my 150mm out of the water in the AF department; but then again I've read some good things about canons new 100mm IS macro and its AF speed; though I've never tested one to know if its in keeping with the speed of a regular lens.

Most reactions

Back