• Total voters

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just checked, my last post here was in last September. Lots of things happened in my life since then, either related to relationship or work, good or bad. Anyway I stopped visiting TPF, stopping taking photos regularly. Though I had a gallery exhibition to be involved with photography in my town, nothing inspired me to go out and take serious photos. Now since life seems back in order, I picked up my camera again and checked back the forum to see how everything was going here. That's where and when I feel the passion and inspiration of fellow photographers again. Everything is so familiar, as I see postings from new faces and old "photography junkie" alike. I'm glad to reconfirm to myself that my passion for photography is in my heart to stay. It just needs to be rekindled when it dies down and that's what TPF did.

Anyway, recently I shot 3 pictures of a friend when hiking. While I was going through all her photos, I am curious to see how you all would select the best from a bunch of similar photos. So which one do you like more/dislike the most considering her pose, framing and everything else? I appreciate your time to comment.

Julian

ZJL_4058.jpg

ZJL_4060.jpg

ZJL_4061.jpg

I'm going with 3, simply because of her facial expression. The pose and framing is so similar in each shot there's not much to debate about that. But her face looks most natural in #3. #1 she looks surprised, #2 looks tense, but #3 is a winner in my book.

I try to look at everything. The eyes, the smile, the posture, the background, in other words, everything. Then I select the one with the fewest flaws and do a little editing. Very little. I don't have PS, so I won't be swapping heads, or anything like that.

Here I would pick #1 because of her serene expression and the tilt of her head. Notice that the tilt is going in the same general direction as the rest of her body. (up to the left)

I also would NOT pick #1 due to the plant leaves being a distraction. (more than in the other photos)

You really need to watch everything when making the photograph.

If you can make the leaves disappear, then #1 for sure.

I try to look at everything. The eyes, the smile, the posture, the background, in other words, everything. Then I select the one with the fewest flaws and do a little editing. Very little. I don't have PS, so I won't be swapping heads, or anything like that.

Here I would pick #1 because of her serene expression and the tilt of her head. Notice that the tilt is going in the same general direction as the rest of her body. (up to the left)

I also would NOT pick #1 due to the plant leaves being a distraction. (more than in the other photos)

lol, I thought the leaves in the front were interesting until you pointed it out :)

I'm with #3 just for the expression. The expressions on her face in 1 ("What are you doing?") and 2 (half-smile) don't go with the surroundings, IMO.

I also would NOT pick #1 due to the plant leaves being a distraction. (more so than in the other photos)

lol, I thought the leaves in the front were interesting until you pointed it out :)
If you could make that one smallest leaf go away, then leave the others. Then #1 it is.

Voted #1 because she look more serene, relaxed and natural. Didn't even notice the leaves until I read a comment about them, so I wouldn't loose sleep over that.

1 for me because I think it's most natural pose and facial expression.

I would be inclined to take shot again, minus leaves in front. I'd also position lady do that the handrail is not leading the eye out behind her. Maybe even ask her stand a few feet back so it leads in, rather than out.

Still they are nice, both model and background are easy on the eye

I like number one the best also. I like it even better when I crop the bottom a tad above her knee on my screen.

Number 1.........the leaves.....not a worry. You're hiking.....there are going to be leaves.

I'll add too that she is really a cute girl. You should shoot more with her.

1 for me because I think it's most natural pose and facial expression.

I would be inclined to take shot again, minus leaves in front.
That and the dead branch above her head.

Number 1.........the leaves.....not a worry. You're hiking.....there are going to be leaves.

I'll add too that she is really a cute girl. You should shoot more with her.

Thanks ladies and guys for voting. Looks like No. 1 it is.

And Bryston3bsst, I did shoot more photos of her. Since you mention it, I will post them later.

I'm going with 3, simply because of her facial expression. The pose and framing is so similar in each shot there's not much to debate about that. But her face looks most natural in #3. #1 she looks surprised, #2 looks tense, but #3 is a winner in my book.

I have a female friend also chooses portraits mostly based on facial expression. I think that's natural among girls?

I have a female friend also chooses portraits mostly based on facial expression. I think that's natural among girls?

I don't really think this is about some inherent tendency to choose a portrait based on facial expressions. In this case, you have EXTREMELY similar poses, and the same background for every shot and so facial expression becomes one of the major ways to differentiate and choose a preference here. There's no difference in clothing, or pose (not substantially anyway) or lighting or white balance.

I don't really think this is about some inherent tendency to choose a portrait based on facial expressions. In this case, you have EXTREMELY similar poses, and the same background for every shot and so facial expression becomes one of the major ways to differentiate and choose a preference here. There's no difference in clothing, or pose (not substantially anyway) or lighting or white balance.

That's what I meant and was going for. It's not like I look at wildly different images and pick the one with the happiest face. In my own work, I actually gravitate towards and prefer more serious/somber faces. I think it's mostly because most smiles look fake or forced. But in these shots, the first two expressions look unnatural to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back