Reversing ring question

ruaslacker2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of purchasing a reversing ring for my XTi. Can I use my old FD mount lens to manually adjust the dof ? Anyone done this ? Results ? Thanks,
Jerry

I am thinking of purchasing a reversing ring ...

What do you mean by "reversing ring"??

1. Classic "lens reversing ring" - male filter thread on one end and a rear lens flange on the other . These are used to reverse mount a lens onto a camera body, either directly or with bellows and/or extension tubes in between.

2. "Macro coupler" - often sold or referred to as "reversing rings" and have male filter threads on both sides. These are used to reverse mount one lens onto another. The lens mounted to the camera operates normally and the reverse mounted lens functions as a closeup lens.

Canon FD mount lenses, depending on variant, have some difficulties when used with classic lens reversing rings (#1, above). You have to take certain steps to allow the aperture to close when its not connected to the body. These vary with the particular variant of the mount.

When using a "macro coupler" (#2, above) you do not stop down the lens that is reversed; doing so will not change the exposure and will likely cause severe vignetting. All focusing, magnification changes, and exposure control is done with the lens that is attached to the camera body.

Most reactions

Back