RF Mount

weepete

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I was just speding some time browsing some big whites lenses considering what my next purchace would eventually be when I suddenly realised that Canon have stopped development on their DSLRs, are wholesale moving to mirrorless, and that the EF lens mount's days are numbered. I've not yet met a EVF I get on with, and maybe I'm just being precious about my photography, but there's something about them that I feel is like a barrier and keeps me out of the image too much. Maybe I'm just too used to my DSLRs and it's entirely in my head.

But I couldn't help thinking that investing significant amounts in EF glass right now would be a waste due to the relatively short life of DSLR bodies. It's frustrating as I've been slowly building up my gear over the years and I'm finally in a position where I can look at top quality glass. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a small Sony mirrorless that I've had a hankering after instead.

Space Face

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I was just speding some time browsing some big whites lenses considering what my next purchace would eventually be when I suddenly realised that Canon have stopped development on their DSLRs, are wholesale moving to mirrorless, and that the EF lens mount's days are numbered. I've not yet met a EVF I get on with, and maybe I'm just being precious about my photography, but there's something about them that I feel is like a barrier and keeps me out of the image too much. Maybe I'm just too used to my DSLRs and it's entirely in my head.

But I couldn't help thinking that investing significant amounts in EF glass right now would be a waste due to the relatively short life of DSLR bodies. It's frustrating as I've been slowly building up my gear over the years and I'm finally in a position where I can look at top quality glass. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get a small Sony mirrorless that I've had a hankering after instead.

The EF to RF adaptor is the way to go Pete. No loss of IQ and electronics work 100%.

I'm looking at going mirrorless for my next body but waiting to see what Canon take out this year. Supposedly 7 new models in the pipeline.

No way will I be getting rid of my EF 'L' lenses for the foreseeable, particularly the 500mm white one.

photoflyer

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
mikeatherton.com
Photos OK to edit
I've not yet met a EVF I get on with, and maybe I'm just being precious about my photography, but there's something about them that I feel is like a barrier and keeps me out of the image too much. Maybe I'm just too used to my DSLRs and it's entirely in my head.

I have the R6 and the 6D Mark II. Shot with the 6D today in fact. They are both excellent but I am completely sold on the R6. Of course an EVF is personal preference and there is certainly nothing wrong with the trusty DSLR but the list of advantages the R6 has over ANY Canon DSLR is very long ... for me. The autofocus in Canon mirrorless cameras (R5,R6,R3) is nothing short of breathtaking. Add to that the "what I see is what I get" and the temptation to chimp goes away.

As for EF versus RF - I plan to keep the EF mount cameras I have so I might just take advantage of lower cost L series EF mount lenses on the used market. My four L series lenses work perfectly on the R6 with the adapter. Yes, RF is better, I understand the reasons why, but is it that much better? For some, but not for me.

When the R7 (hear that Canon, make a pro grade APS-C mirrorless camera please) I will be first in line.

But I can't fault anyone who prefers the SLR. It is all about how you interact with the equipment, not the equipment.

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Maybe I'm just too used to my DSLRs and it's entirely in my head.

There are many more just like you, including myself. One of the big reasons I've remained a Pentaxian over the years is their commitment to backward/forward compatibility. I love my legacy lenses just as much as the new Star series. I don't understand why other manufactures have abandoned their customers by creating products that aren't compatible unless it's pure greed, forcing them to buy new. For those who say that isn't possible, Pentax released the K-01 a mirroless model with advanced features and fully compatible with all K mount lenses in 2012, to a lukewarm market. It was discontinued a year later. I prefer to stay with a company that has more concern for their users.

Most reactions