Rim Lighting Questionv

Naicidrac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,
I was wondering if there are some good tutorials to get good rim lighting like this image shown? I know there is a lot of post processing with this image, but where do you place the lights to get RIM lighting like this? I usually just set them up and then move the lights around, but I was wondering if there is a way to position them from the start so I could get this effect. Are the lights placed directly to the side or are they behind at a 45 degree or something like that?

Thanks,

test.jpg

Bump-
Does anyone have any good suggestions or tutorial links?

Sorry I'm not a huge help to your question here, just wanted to mention a couple of small points. It looks like the shot you posted uses at least two lights, since you can see side illumination of the man on both sides (which I would think would be impossible to achieve with just one light). I would guess that there were two lights, positioned at about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (ish) relative to the camera.
Also, I doubt there is much PP done to this shot, it just looks like a well set up shot from the outset.

Free bump for someone with better lighting knowledge than me to see this and answer your question better!

That looks like the lights were positioned at about a 45 degree angle behind the subject on either side. If the lights were moved forward and just placed on the side, they would then be illumination the subject's face. You can use strip boxes, grids, barndoors, etc... to control the light from the source and make it tighter so you don't get spill onto areas you don't want lit.

You're not supposed to post other people's work without their express permission. Copyrights and all.

Parabolic reflector + honeycomb grid + mylar diffuser + barn doors leads to nice rim lighting that is pretty easy to control. The key is the addition of the mylar diffuser.

Thanks for the awesome replies. I appreciate them all

Most reactions

New Topics

Back