Ring Flash Photos

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I bought a cheap-o ring flash adapter to see what i could do and im not getting the results that ive seen and like out there. So Im asking for your help...

How do I go from taking photos that look like this guy's photo with a ring flash:
Quinn_8902 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

to how this person used it:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2017/2268944527_f6b1fefd4d.jpg

or this person who used the same ring flash as the first person (whose pictures i am getting similar results like that i dont like): Julia_3041 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I can't say that I like any of those, but that's just me. I'd prefer to use an on-camera flash diffuser (Like the one from Gary Fong).

Is the brand of ring flash you have the same as any of the ones you're trying to achieve the look of? I don't really know anything about ring flashes, but generally, low quality won't give you the same results as high quality.

Yes, I have the same one as the 1st and 3rd pictures.

I'm guessing that the size of the ring has a lot to do with it. As with all lighting, a larger source gives a softer light.

So I bought a cheap-o ring flash adapter to see what i could do and im not getting the results that ive seen and like out there. So Im asking for your help...

How do I go from taking photos that look like this guy's photo with a ring flash:
Quinn_8902 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

to how this person used it:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2017/2268944527_f6b1fefd4d.jpg

or this person who used the same ring flash as the first person (whose pictures i am getting similar results like that i dont like): Julia_3041 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Got any examples of your pictures?

How far are you shooting from your subject?

How To Use The Ring Flash

I will post some tonight when I get home, but I'm standing at varying distances and can't really figure out what is resulting in what. I messed with the flash settings and stuff too. I'm standing anywhere between 1 foot and 3 feet in front of the subject...

Think it has anything to do with how far they are from the background as well? What about settings on my camera?

Some of them are turning out just like the first guys' photos where it just looks like a regular flash...

the 2nd and third look good i kinda like the style they achieved ...and that was all with a ring flash?

the 2nd and third look good i kinda like the style they achieved ...and that was all with a ring flash?

Yes, all 3 with ring flash. the first and 3rd are using the same ring flash I bought...

1st and 2nd have the subjects close to a background, the third does not. If you don't have a background for the light to evenly fall on, then you're not going to see the full circular shadow behind the person.

You can still tell it's a ring in the third from the apparent lack of shadow on the face. What you can see though is where there is a tiny bit of shadow cast, it's coming from all directions.

Most reactions

Back