River Sunrise C&C

fjrabon

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Managed to drag myself out of bed at 5AM after getting little to no sleep T-giving night. I was grumbling the whole time, nearly went back to bed. It was really cold. Got there, got set up, took a few pre-sunrise pictures. Was mostly grumbling still. Then when the sun actually rose, the fog started rising from off the river as it warmed up and it went nuts in a good way. THe sun hitting the rising steam made it look like the whole river area was on fire. These probably seem like they were really doctored, they really weren't much, a little contrast was added to cut through the fog a bit. If you can believe it, the colors were even more intense than this in real life.

Not the greatest technical pictures out there, or the best composed (hence the C&C), but I really am glad I made myself get out there and shoot. I've never once regretted forcing myself to go out and make pictures.

DSC_0047 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

DSC_0055 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

DSC_0057 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

DSC_0058 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

The first one is OK, nothing amazing or bad about it. The second one, the branches are a bit distracting for me and add clutter.

Now.... the third and fourth ones! WOW and WOW! You really nailed it with the bottom shot (Shot 4), very good, its a stunner!!

The first one is OK, nothing amazing or bad about it. The second one, the branches are a bit distracting for me and add clutter.

Now.... the third and fourth ones! WOW and WOW! You really nailed it with the bottom shot (Shot 4), very good, its a stunner!!

Yeah, the first two were mostly 'well, I'm out here, the sun hasn't risen yet, what can I shoot?' type shots. Although I was really sad that I lost some of the color in the first one. In real life the sky colors were extremely vivid. Didn't quite come through the camera, and not exactly sure why not. My first thought was that I slightly overexposed them, should have used a little more exposure compensation, and just dealt with the fact that they looked dark for the sake of vivid colors.

The 2nd I was trying things out composition wise. Kept going back and forth on whether or not the branches were a useful foreground or just distracting. 3&4 were the shots I had waited for an hour in the cold to be there when they happened. I only had about 2 minutes to get them. 2 minutes before and the sun was behind stuff, 1 minute later and with the cold air, the sun would have cooked the sensor. Thanks for the compliment. Though I have to admit, 3 & 4 are mostly proof of the idea 'if you want better pictures, point your camera at better subjects'.

Excellent job. #2 and #4 for me are absolute winners!

What can I say, I like them all. Would have been interesting to see a little more of the diagonal rail in #1 from a slightly different camera angle. #3 is my favorite. Would try cropping 2 & 5 a little differently to loose some of the bridge on the left. Kudos on getting up and hanging in on it!

I like #'s 1, 3, and 4 the most. All are great, but I agree that the branches are kind of distracting on #2, but it is still a cool shot. Nice work!!!!!

What can I say, I like them all. Would have been interesting to see a little more of the diagonal rail in #1 from a slightly different camera angle. #3 is my favorite. Would try cropping 2 & 5 a little differently to loose some of the bridge on the left. Kudos on getting up and hanging in on it!

That was actually all of the diagonal rail there was. The last piling(?) you can see is actually the last one and the first one is the first one, I was pretty careful to try to compose it so that it looked like they went on forever.

Here's one taken at roughly the same time frame as #2 (I think like 30 seconds prior), but without the branches.

DSC_0054 by franklinrabon, on Flickr

yeah thats right i went to a school there in ft gordon hold on here it is

1130043873_fL2Lh-L.jpg

yeah thats right i went to a school there in ft gordon hold on here it is

haha, yep, same bridge. Coulda got some killer shots if you had walked about half way out on it.

REAL PHOTOGRAPHY in the beginners forum??????????????
OH MY GOD!

THE EDIT OF
Number 4. Puts it on thirds as best it can be applied to this image.
IT is the winner. Congrats for seeing this in post processing.

For all of you posting images of your kids, DON'T PANIC.

Most reactions

Back