road in the country

leeroix

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have had this shot laying around for a while and debated weather is was worth anything. Still not sure. below is a B&W and color version. Perhaps its the processing? or too busy? or the crop? OR maybe it just plain sucks and Im wasting my time...

country road-color by keips66, on Flickr

country road-bw by keips66, on Flickr

Yup, the color one looks better to me. I would have no clue on how or what, but it seems you could do something more with the shot. (sorry, not very helpful)

I cetainly think it is a keeper though. Is it possible to re-shoot? With some knowledgeable suggestions it would be worth it.

It is definitely possible to re-shoot. what do you have in mind?

I like the color better too. If its an easy reshoot the possibilities are great. Watch for different light conditions. I bet that big tree casts an interesting shadow. Does this place get snow ? Or fall foliage ? Maybe a lower perspective a bit more to the right ? Possible to eliminate the tire marks ? I think it would be worth it to go back a few more times to see what it's got to offer and go from there.

These are definitely nice as is though. I got a thing for photos of lonely roads and this one fits the bill haha.

I agree that the color one looks better. I don't know if the road is not level or it's how you had your tripod but that's one thing I would change, not sure if others would agree with me there. With snow or fall foliage I bet it'd look great too

The color version really draws me in with the vibrancy. Is that a river to the left?

Well, this is not too far from where I live. It was taken in the early morning and its in the Napa Valley. Snow would be awesome, but its about 72 degrees here in Cali today... Ill have to go back when I have some time. No river to the left, but a vineyard...

Sunrise in Napa by keips66, on Flickr

I can understand why you took the shot. That canopy of trees must feel very peaceful above the road. There is a similar road near my childhood home. It also had a nice dip in the road under the canopy. I loved to drive very fast on that road. It was somehow freeing.

The problem I am having with the image is that it feels very sterile. The perspective is middle-of-the-road, quite literally, everything is in focus and sharp, and the magical quality of the scene is lost to absolute realism. You show me how it realistically looks, but I want to know how it makes you feel. So, my suggestion is to reshoot, and go for capturing the emotions it evokes rather than how it looks.

Hope that helps.

I'd shoot your road in the country scene under overcast, possible wet conditions to give off a more richer, saturated look instead of the bluish, cool look.

I like the color version but, I think its way to sharp. One thing about a bunch of green leaves and branches is not to over sharpen them. This looks like an HDR or processing with an HDR effect with over sharpening. Life is not that sharp so tone it down some and I think it would make a more pleasant shot.

Most reactions

Back