Road Trip to 15 National Parks, what do I need?

These guys have covered the photo parts of the trip.

CAR:
Carry extra water for the radiator
Carry extra oil
2- tire inflator kits - check your spare before you leave
good snacks, extra water to drink (or what you drink) - a small cooler

first aid kit, with a smaller one for your hiking pack, including moleskin, bug spray, suntan lotion, TP (toilet paper);)

good shoes, comfortable clothing, extra pair of sunglasses.
Maps - good maps, maybe even a compass - if you know how to use it.

I spent 3 summers traveling the lower 48. It was a blast, something never to forget.
The west is huge, have lots of fun!!!

thanks for the info. my wife is great at packing up the good stuff like sunscreen, bug spray, etc. I think we are going to buy a GPS system, but will also buy a map before we take off. I think we will keep a large ice chest with us full of food and drinks and just replenish every 2 or 3 days as needed. thanks for the recommendations!

the biggest SD cards you can get a hold of.

Extra batteries.

Sensor cleaning kit, This is the kit I keep in my bag. Had to use it once so far.
SENSOR CLEANING SYSTEM: GREEN CLEAN for fine technics

lens cleaning wipes. I keep the nikon brand in my bag.

Car adapter for your batteries to let you charge them while driving. Even a power converter to let you plug in a laptop computer.

Netbook instead of a laptop at least to allow you to download your pictures off the cards and view on something other than the LCD on the camera. Gives you a better way of seeing your pictures is all. Not the best, just better.

Rain cover for the camera and the bag if it didn't have one.

Bulb blower for the lenses. Lets you control the dust a little better before having to use wipes on them.

Tamron 1.4X teleconvertor

Go to your library and sign out "Understanding Exposure" from Bryan Peterson. If you want, buy it. I seem to get it about twice a year to review it.

GND filter - Seriously here. Especially if you are going to be taking landscape shots. Even if it's a Hoya GND (Graduated neutral density)

CPL (circular polarizing lens)

Just some of the things that cross my mind.

thanks farmer. did not even think about cleaning supplies or power converter or car adapter but that will be a life saver! I think we will be taking my wife macbook with us since that is where we put all the photos and do the editing. I will definitely look into some filters. I honestly didn't even know what most of them did until reading this thread! Thanks for all the great ideas.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have done 2 - month long trips like your talking about. 15 parks in 30 days is a really hecktic schedule!! Including drive times between parks that does not leave alot. Whats going to be important is very very good preplanning. Also have to remember if doing this in the summer there is going to be very harsh light from mid morning to afternoon. So the conditions will not be optimal during those periods.

My first trip over a month included Petrified Forrest, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, and Escalante Staircase.

My second trip included Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Waterton (Canadian), Devils Tower, Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Wind Cave.

If you have a laptop make sure you have a car charger for it. If you don't pick up a 85 to 250 watt power inverter. The inverter will allow computer charging and battery charging. I used one for both of my trips. I had one 85 watt for first trip Worked great! Second trip picked up a 250 watt inverter that would charge 2 things at once (low power items like battery chargers).

One thing to remember is several of the parks have no showers inside the park (if your camping). Normally there are some showers in stores right outside the park (pay showers).

As for photo gear I think you have a very good set up. Camera with decent capabilities and light weight. Since your on a crop sensor the 200mm in the long end is not so bad. You can skip picking up another lens (and its weight) by taking several shots and stitching them. A tripod is a must. So is a good CPL. If your going in the summer with strong light. Neutral Density filters are goign to be needed. A graduated ND filter will be handy.

Our schedule definitely is going to be hectic. Hopefully not painfully hectic but it may be, in which case we may skip a few parks and save us some days. However, many of the parks through AZ, UT, and CO are within a couple of hours of eachother! We are planning to probably arrive early evening and leave around 11 am and drive during the hot parts of each day. this will also leave us the good shots later in each day and early each morning hopefully. thanks for all the great info! i love hearing about trips like this to get a feel for how people planned theirs and went about executing it! feel free to share more.

I would rent the following:
battery grip + extra batteries
ultra wide angle
400mm f/4
1.4x tele
circular polarizer
graduated ND filter
tripod
extra memory cards
a backpack to carry it all

my gem would be the backpack... it's a way better option for hiking than the one shoulder jobs.

Also, study up on HDR and practice before you leave. If you don't want to get a CPL and graduated ND, HDR can be a valid substitute, as long as you're not shooting moving stuff.

thanks for the list. Already have a large hiking backpack to load everything into. will probably be carrying lots of water, some food, towels to sit on, tripod, monopod and obv camera bag with lenses and everything.

Hey guys saw mention of the Sigma 10-20 lens... and then just saw the price of one of Amazon. Those things aren't cheap! any guesses at how much it would cost to rent a lens for about a month? our budget is super tight right now being broke college kids. the trip is already a little more expensive than we were hoping since we are going to be taking a motorhome that gets 10 mpg... and the trip will be over 4,000 miles! oh well, i am hoping it will be money well spent and memories (and pics) to last a lifetime!

I am thinking we can probably buy one filter. Don't know which would be more useful on the trip between a polarizing filter or the neutral density filter. If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great! We will be doing a good amount of hiking and driving around the parks. Also feel free to tell me which filters you guys would recommend for someone on a really tight budget.

I would rent the following:
battery grip + extra batteries
ultra wide angle
400mm f/4
1.4x tele
circular polarizer
graduated ND filter
tripod
extra memory cards
a backpack to carry it all

my gem would be the backpack... it's a way better option for hiking than the one shoulder jobs.

Also, study up on HDR and practice before you leave. If you don't want to get a CPL and graduated ND, HDR can be a valid substitute, as long as you're not shooting moving stuff.

Having shot in Yellowstone and at Mt. Rushmore, I would agree with most of Robert's list...particularly the telephoto and tele-extender in the lens area. The ultra-wide would be best in the grand canyon and Bryce parks but less so in Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore where you cannot always get close enough to get an effective wide angle shot.

skieur

You will need a reliable car and a lens and camera

:lmao: A lens, eh?... And which ALL purpose, top quality lens do you use for every occasion? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

skieur

I am thinking we can probably buy one filter. Don't know which would be more useful on the trip between a polarizing filter or the neutral density filter. If you guys could point me in the right direction that would be great! We will be doing a good amount of hiking and driving around the parks. Also feel free to tell me which filters you guys would recommend for someone on a really tight budget.

Here is a site that rents the sigma lens you are interested in.

LensRentals.com - Rent a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX-DC HSM for Canon

They are not "THE" lens, but they are a good start.

Hoya makes both a CPL and a GND. Both of them are under $60 each that I have seen.

If I could only have one. I'd get the CPL to start. It will help you with landscape as well as more diverse shots. Against glass, water and other shiny surfaces to help reduce glare. You can really richen up some colors playing with this lens.

I bought a Hoya CPL with my lenses only because I wanted one to work with, and I wasn't sure what I really wanted. I am looking to get into a GND with a Cokin Z-pro mount most likely, so that is where my pennies are getting saved for. I will use Hoya's in the mean time, but the Cokins are really interesting for me.

One option you might be able to look at is to rent a van or pickup instead. At least a smaller RV.

1 - correction. The 2 outlet inverter I used on the 2nd trip was a 400w inverter, not 250w. I used it to charge camera battery and AA rechargeables at same time. Or laptop while driving.

As for a recommendation. I would suggest staying at Bryce Canyon when doing the parks in that area. When I was there I stayed at Zion and drove to the others. Bryce is more central, and is a bit cooler in late evening than Zion. Staying at Bryce you can hit Zion and Capitol Reef. Zion has a max stay of 14 days in 1 year. I used them up.

First trip was tent camping. And was late June through July. Even though its very hot during the day bring a decent sleeping bag (guessing your camping). Basically you will be sweating till about 3am when you wake up freezing. Amazing you could be laying there sweating away in the heat at 11pm. And then just couple hours later the temp dives and you dive into the bag. Wet wipes is a idea my mom came up with when we went hiking when I was younger. For days when you can't shower, using wet wipes to clean up some, is very refreshing / smell relief. ;)

2nd trip was in a very small pop-up camper. Little easier but still a little bit of a hassle. The parks, especially up towards Tetons / Yellowstone about securing your food (bears). If you leave food in tents they will ticket you. It has to be in an enclosed vehicle (non-convertable) or bear proof container if hiking. Some camp sites do have lock boxes.

Most of the parks will not allow you to use solar showers / portable showers unless you catch the water! On my 2nd trip I brought a portable shower with me. I even bought a catch floor after reading the camping rules. I used a battery powered shower pump, and a second one to use as a drain for the catch floor. In Yellowstone I was given a warning ticket for the shower. But after I showed them the catch floor they said ok.

I didn't worry so much about having alot of cards. I brought a laptop with me and at first just saved to the hard drive. But even that was nearing full so I bought a reem of CD's. With a whole month your going to be taking a lot of pics. I would bring a laptop that can write cd's (prefferably DVD's) and some blank discs. For traveling I used Microsoft's Streets and trips with GPS locator. It worked very vell. Having the map on the laptop screen was very good. You may want a portable one for hiking anyway. But the laptop version is very nice for traveling in the car.

They are not "THE" lens, but they are a good start.

Hoya makes both a CPL and a GND. Both of them are under $60 each that I have seen.

If I could only have one. I'd get the CPL to start. It will help you with landscape as well as more diverse shots. Against glass, water and other shiny surfaces to help reduce glare. You can really richen up some colors playing with this lens.

I bought a Hoya CPL with my lenses only because I wanted one to work with, and I wasn't sure what I really wanted. I am looking to get into a GND with a Cokin Z-pro mount most likely, so that is where my pennies are getting saved for. I will use Hoya's in the mean time, but the Cokins are really interesting for me.

One option you might be able to look at is to rent a van or pickup instead. At least a smaller RV.

Awesome thanks for the recommendations! i actually had been looking at a Hoya CPL on amazon but had no idea how reliable or worthwhile the Hoya brand was. I will definitely be picking up a CPL then, but may skip on the GND. I noticed Big Mike mentioned doing something in editing to get the same effect as a GND which would be nice though we only have editing software that the new MacBook came with (iphoto or something).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back