Not open for further replies.

TheKenTurner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I just recently went on a trip to the states and picked up this little guy! If you don't have a UV filter and want to get one, check out this review! Feel free to ask any questions either on the video page, or here on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have anything protecting your lens
A thin, easily breakable UV filter doesn't have any chance of protecting my lens. All it can do is throw hard glass shards against the front element if it breaks, possibly scratching or gouging my front element.

I don't shoot motocross or anything that throws mud and schmutz at my lens, so I don't need any protection from that either, and if I did, I'd just use a clear filter made for that sort of protection, of the highest grade and from the most reputable filter maker, not a cheap UV filter that will degrade my image quality.

A thin, easily breakable UV filter doesn't have any chance of protecting my lens. All it can do is throw hard glass shards against the front element if it breaks, possibly scratching or gouging my front element.

I don't shoot motocross or anything that throws mud and schmutz at my lens, so I don't need any protection from that either, and if I did, I'd just use a clear filter made for that sort of protection, of the highest grade and from the most reputable filter maker, not a cheap UV filter that will degrade my image quality.

From the test shots I've taken, it hasn't degraded quality at all. You say you would use a "clear filter made for that sort of protection", but that's almost exactly what this is, only for $10.

Yeah. I'm not putting $10 glass in front of my $1300 and $1600 lenses.

From the test shots I've taken, it hasn't degraded quality at all. You say you would use a "clear filter made for that sort of protection", but that's almost exactly what this is, only for $10.
I guarantee you that it degrades image quality. I've done the testing myself, and it's come up around here several times already where others have had the same problems - those problems go away when they remove the filter.

The salesman lied to you about the value of UV filters for digital cameras.

As for the "protection" they provide, front elements are REALLY tough chunks of glass:

The force it takes to actually damage a front element will rip through a UV filter like it's not even there - it has ZERO chance of protecting the front element at all.

From the test shots I've taken, it hasn't degraded quality at all. You say you would use a "clear filter made for that sort of protection", but that's almost exactly what this is, only for $10. guarantee you that it degrades image quality. I've done the testing myself, and it's come up around here several times already where others have had the same problems - those problems go away when they remove the filter.

The salesman lied to you about the value of UV filters for digital cameras.

As for the "protection" they provide, front elements are REALLY tough chunks of glass:

The force it takes to actually damage a front element will rip through a UV filter like it's not even there - it has ZERO chance of protecting the front element at all.

That's funny, because of how easy Kai makes it look in this video: (especially 4:08)

lol who does a review on a UV filter?

That's funny, because of how easy Kai makes it look in this video: (especially 4:08)

Doesn't look that easy to me. The way he reared back with that hammer on the first blow is a LOT of force, as I said; Much more force than any UV filter could ever hope to help withstand in order to protect the front element. And then, he had to repeatedly beat on the front element to actually break through it all the way.

In other words, you can stop trying to justify your $10 UV lens as something useful for "protecting" a lens - because it can't actually do that.

Buckster said:
Doesn't look that easy to me. The way he reared back with that hammer on the first blow is a LOT of force, as I said; Much more force than any UV filter could ever hope to help withstand in order to protect the front element. And then, he had to repeatedly beat on the front element to actually break through it all the way.

In other words, you can stop trying to justify your $10 UV lens as something useful for "protecting" a lens.

You can have your opinions, I can have mine. Obviously, a UV filter is not for everyone, but there are a lot of people who do like I have them. In my review, I am simply describing the product, and what I think of it, what you think f it really doesn't matter to me because I am still exactly the same no matter what people think of the filter.

Buckster said:

In other words, you can stop trying to justify your $10 UV lens as something useful for "protecting" a lens.

You can have your opinions, I can have mine. Obviously, a UV filter is not for everyone, but there are a lot of people who do like I have them. In my review, I am simply describing the product, and what I think of it, what you think f it really doesn't matter to me because I am still exactly the same no matter what people think of the filter.
I enjoy being informed and capable of learning new things when people with far more knowledge and experience than I have present them to me, and I really enjoy accepting facts and reality without calling someone a douche for pointing them out to me.

But you go ahead and have fun pretending that your $10 UV filter is "protecting" your lens, if it makes you feel better, and I'll leave you to it.

Buckster said:
I enjoy being informed and capable of learning new things when people with far more knowledge and experience than I have present them to me, and I really enjoy accepting facts and reality without calling someone a douche for pointing them out to me.

But you go ahead and have fun pretending that your $10 UV filter is "protecting" your lens, if it makes you feel better, and I'll leave you to it. I have a granddaughter who still believes in Santa and the Tooth Fairy, and I wouldn't want to upset her either.

I'm not calling you a douche for pointing it out to me. I have made mistakes on here, people have corrected me, and I love learning new things by people! I'm calling you a douche for the way you pointed it out to me, instead of just telling me, you also tried to make me look like an idiot.
No, I didn't. You just perceive it that way because you're trying to defend the indefensible, and I wouldn't just let you get away with it, so now you're all defensive about it.

Sorry 'bout your luck with that.

9701d1321738772-u-s-home-discussion-thread-internet-argument.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back